Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

New here and need a little help.

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi all,

I just signed up and have picked out My template (Bamboo News) I have up-loaded the new template and would like a little help configuring it. I have forums on my site from phpbb so i would like to start there. I having a little trouble configuring my modules correctly. and I also would like to run this template in full width or 100% width. Here are two links to my site the first is the template i am currently using and how it looks and the second is the new Bamboo News Template.

http://www.gettingourcountryback.org

http://gettingourcountryback.org/forum2

I would like to have the new Template configured close to the way I have it set up now.

Suggestions?
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Welcome to Joomla Bamboo...

The biggest problem you are going to face between your old template and the Bamboo News theme is called 'variable width'. You old theme uses this format; 'Fixed Left/Right module positions with a variable (or float) content container'. The JB theme you selected does not have this function built into it. As you have seen, when you publish modules into the left and/or right positions, it squeezes the content container (your forum) to a very small amount of space. This is due in large part to the pre-fixed width design of this theme. To the very best of my knowledge, Joomla Bamboo does not offer a 'variable width' template within their library. This is not to say that any or some can't be re-coded to allow for this feature... they can be, but would requite a good deal of code re-work.

With this in mind you could publish all of your modules in the 'right module position' and nothing in the 'left module position'. This would give your forum the largest amount of space within the page and still offer sidebar (right module position) features.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
I moved all of my modules to the "Right" position but they all now show up at the bottom of the page.
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
How are you placing phpBB into your site?

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
I'm looking at your site now (gettingourcountryback.org/forum2) and see that you have several modules published into the left position. Can you either un-publish these or move them to the right position so we can see who the site looks.

Thanks,
Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Sorry I had moved them all to the left to see if that would help. They are all moved to the right now. I am using a p8pbb Bridge to intergrate phpbb into jooomla and Community Builder.
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
Would you mind submitting a support ticket with your Joomla super admin information. I can't get your right modules to go into the right place using Firebug. I know this was a talked about issue but the new forum board seems to have lost this theme's postings.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
oh, FYI... I'm getting ready for a family dinner but will be available tonight (my time - EST). There is a football game on and that always makes for good forum support time!!! :laugh:

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hey gocb,

Have you altered the templates index.php file much?
The div#left and div#content are missing the containing div#main which is essential to maintaining the width in the layout.

Let us know.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
I haven't altered the index file at all for this template. I just downloaded it this afternoon and loaded it as is.
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
Yeah, just had another look. The phpBB output seems to be missing a closing </div> tag somewhere that is breaking the layout.
Not sure where the fix lies though. Might be a bit beyond the scope here.
This isn't recommended but you could work around it in the template index.php file by adding a closing </div> tag before line 250
<div id="below_content">

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Also, I would like to make this a full width template... is this possible?
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
Hey again,

When you say full width, do you mean without the right column? Or do you want a genarally wider width for left, right and main content?
Will take some work but it can be done.

Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Not without quite a few modifications to the template. I would strongly advise against it also, as it isn't going to be pretty.

You would need to go through template.css and replace fixed width measures with 100%.

Like I say, I advise against it.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Can I shrink the size of the modules? They look kind of funny being as big as they are in the right module position.
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
What i mean by "Shrinking" the modules is to allow more room for the main body. So it doesn't compress my forums.
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
I posted my problem over at the phpbb forum and this is the response I got...
The <div id="right"> and associated content needs to come after <div id="main">'s closing </div>, at the moment it's inside.

Can you tell me where the HTML for the main page structure is? :)
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
Does this make any sense?
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
I found it.... well actually the guys over at phpbb told me where to look. There was a missing </div> just before <div id="below_content">
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts
That only seems to have screwed up my front page now.... and Ideas?
  • gocb
  • Previous Member
  • 67 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers