Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Rasa quick start 500 error

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I'm getting a 500 error with the rasa template. I've tried other quick start packages and joomla on it's own ... no luck
  • richard zombeck
  • 12 Month basic
  • 63 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Richard,

I'm not a 'server expert' but generally when you get '500 errors' it means there is a permission issue with your hosting company. Again, not a server expert and maybe someone else can better explain what you need to do. Might want to research your hosting companies web site to see if they have a fix you can apply.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
that would make sense if it was an issue with other installers - but it's only with the RASA template
  • richard zombeck
  • 12 Month basic
  • 63 posts
Richard,

Sorry, I read your post as if you were having problems with 'all' installations... again, sorry! As I mentioned, not an expert on this subject and the folk who are, are either away for the day or sick with the flu. If your time-line permits I'd ask that you wait till they are available. Any support I might lend would be a real 'hit or miss' process. I can say that I've installed Rasa Quickstart on my localserve as well as on two different hosting companies I contract with and had no issues. I know this does not provide you with a fix to your issue but this has been my experience with Rasa.

Post back and hopefully one of the other Mods will jump in sooner rather then later.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
thanks - I appreciate the input
  • richard zombeck
  • 12 Month basic
  • 63 posts
It's very strange - if I extract with winzip they are in fact encrypted, but not with 7-zip
so when I upload them directly to the server they are encrypted. That doesn't make much sense though.

Once I extracted them with 7-zip and FTPd them up it all worked fine.

Does that make any sense at all?
  • richard zombeck
  • 12 Month basic
  • 63 posts
Yeah the core zip utility on windows vista or 7 (I dont recall which) has an issue with mac generated zip files. The work around is to use 7 zip as you found out.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
well, the potential problem is... and I could be speculating, is that if I download directly from your site and then upload directly to my site through the hosting companies control panel, Almost all of the files in the root directory have 666 (-rw-rw-rw-) permissions, which are world-writable. This is the cause for the 500 error.

As usual Anthony, thanks for your response
  • richard zombeck
  • 12 Month basic
  • 63 posts
Yes, that would certainly cause 500 errors on most hosts, it is a security setting on the server.

To avoid such complications (and speed uploads) I always unzip the quickstarts on the server itself. It is much faster, and should ensure the permissions are correct. The fastest way is with the command line if you have shell access (unzip filename.zip). If not, use the cpanel file manager to unzip the package.

You can also use either method (shell or cpanel file manager) to correct the screwy permissions you have now. Just go to the top-level (the domain folder) and recursively set permissions to 755.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers