Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Rasa and Slideshow3

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Bamboo,

I am looking at the new Rasa template and like the "minimalistic" design. But it seems that the slideshow3 module doesn't work in the module positions. The bottom is cut off and the "colored discs" are missing and replaced with a white box that falls into the next module position. See pic.

I am working between avanti and now rasa. So if you need to see the site please let me know when and I'll try and choose rasa for your inspection. But the pic shows both the "cut off" problem and the white blob, My avanti page is fine.

You can see the avanti page at joomlatest.cornerstonecubed.com, menu item resources, sub menu books for thought,

Made no change to the slideshow3 modules for rasa. They are the same regardless of the template I use.

Jonathan
  • Jonathanne
  • 12 Month basic
  • 439 posts
  • 7 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
I have looked at the CSS code but could not see anything that looked like it was the problem. But using Firefox inspector I could not find the "colored discs." I could see them when I "inspected your demo site front page slideshow.

Jonathan
  • Jonathanne
  • 12 Month basic
  • 439 posts
  • 7 Thanks
Hi Jonathanne,

Sounds like you need to increase the overall height of the slideshow.

Let us know if that fixes it for you.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Sorry, tried that and it did not work. That doesn't answer the question wht it works for avanti and not rasa, Are module positions sized heightwise?

Thanks for the quick reply. I like the rasa template; the elegance of the subtle, non-distracting design elements allow the viewer an interesting overall scene while focusing on content which is main reason I want people to visit. Nice job. (It also why I like avanti as well.)

Jonathan
  • Jonathanne
  • 12 Month basic
  • 439 posts
  • 7 Thanks
I can't see the navigation discs on your Avanti page.

I would agree with Anthony though, you just need to increase the height of the Slideshow module, in the module settings.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Sorry gentlemen but I don't know how much more to increase the height. I first developed the layout using a rocket theme and they fit. Then I went to avanti and they fit.

They don't fit in the ecolift (although the colored discs did show) and rasa themes. They do fit on the folio and grid2 themes.

I went to a different computer under a different user and got the same results (didn't want settings on my computer to influence the outcome). Also I looked at the page on firefox (my default browser), IE8, Chrome and Safari. The results were the same.

Again, I've tried the height increase (30 pixels & 100px ) and nothing changes except the space underneath the extension gets larger.

I'm using version 3.2.9 the latest which I updated by (successfully) upgrading over the old one.

Jonathan
  • Jonathanne
  • 12 Month basic
  • 439 posts
  • 7 Thanks
Do you have a link? It is pretty much impossible to diagnose issues like this from a screenshot ;)
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
joomlatest.cornerstonecubed.com menu item: resources sub menu: books for thought
  • Jonathanne
  • 12 Month basic
  • 439 posts
  • 7 Thanks
Hi Jonathon,

Yep, it's the size of the slideshw container. I increased it, in Firebug, from 130px to 140px and the bottom of the box is shown:
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Differences in element paddings and margins will mean that one size will not fit all themes equally, which is why this worked Ok in Avanti but not Rasa.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your work. It seems that slideshow is template dependent and if you (meaning me) don't read enough it gets missed. The slideshow worked in avanti because the nav bar was transparent and the colored disks were not left margin adjusted as they are in rasa (over two hundred pixels). So the width of the nav bar at 130 pixels was to short to accommodate the placement of the circles in the nav bar, forcing the nav bar to "grow in height."

Also, the nav bar height is not inlcuded in the "overall" slideshow height. I'm not sure but neither is the text box height. They are all independent it seems.

Just learned a lot about how to use it.

It's working OK now. Thanks for the guidance Seth.

Jonathan
  • Jonathanne
  • 12 Month basic
  • 439 posts
  • 7 Thanks
Hey there Jonathon,

Most of the elements are absolutely positioned so it means the elements have their own heights. The overall slideshow height has no bearing on the nav positioning as you found out eg if the nav has a top margin of 400px but the overall height only 200px then the nav will display below the module and in some templates wont display at all as other elements will be on top of it.

re the width of the nav though thats most likely an oversight on our part - we need to add some more logic there so its less tricky to figure out.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,

Thanks for your reply. What really threw me was the hard coded position of the circles. I just couldn't clearly see it using firebug. Needed for the design of the front page slide show but invisible to using slideshow somewhere else using a different design. Make the position a parameter so the slideshow can be redesigned elsehwere (or some other control which you're better at deciding on).

Like I said before, nice template. I'm still deciding between this one and avanti.

My advice to your customers is to carefully read (unlike myself) your template's documentation as you've done a great job in designing the ability for folks to easlily create custom designs. Your doc, carefully read, puts it all together. It could also be I'm only a few months into Joomla and the concept of templates (started with wordpress). While I used to code (a long time ago in the tech world) I want to design a nice looking site and not code too much. Your design allows that.

Thanks again,

Jonathan
  • Jonathanne
  • 12 Month basic
  • 439 posts
  • 7 Thanks
Hi Jonathon,

Yes, it can be a bit tricky to get ones head around the various different elements of the Slideshow. Personally, I love the module for it's flexibility. But, with great flexibility comes a multitude of options, some of which are not totally intuitive at first.

Anyway, glad to hear that it is all coming clear for you now. Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers