Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Avanti Layout Issues: extremely frustrated!

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi

I have a ticket in, but perhaps someone can help here...? I've been working on this all day and am extremely frustrated!

Last night, the site looked great, so we transferred it and made it live. I did some text editing and now it's horrible.

Here's a screen shot:
artdollsonly.com/images/ADO_LayoutIssues_071410.png
And here's the site now:
artdollsonly.com
(I may redirect it to the blog if I can't figure it out soon, as I hate having a broken site up)

One of the six blog entries is in the middle instead of where it should be. The bottom has lost its background color. Right now, my top slideshow is okay, but when I make text changes in the articles, it sometimes adds ghost articles which messes up the slideshow. Apparently this was an issue with unclosed tags, but since I'm not editing the HTML and just using the article editor, I don't understand how I could be causing this.

I'm totally lost as to how to fix it. I haven't messed with the CSS or HTML (I'm somewhat web savvy but certainly not an expert).

I'm on a Mac and am viewing in Firefox. Looks bad in Safari, too.

Thanks in advance,
Melody
  • AllegroMelody
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 534 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Melody,

I love your site and your avatar.

This is due to some unclosed tags in the microblog module:

validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fartdollsonly.com%2F

Try removing <p> and <div> from the allowed tags field int he microblog module and I think that should solve it.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks for your response.

I removed the tags from the module and the site is now fixed! I don't quite understand why, but hopefully it will work now. Big sigh of relief.

Glad you like the site. I love your templates, although I have a very high learning curve with Joomla and have been spending many late nights learning how to make it work. I may have more questions coming up....

Many thanks again,

Melody
(my avatar is a portrait of me by my daughter)
  • AllegroMelody
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 534 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hey Melody,

The elements (<b><i>..) tend to lose their closing tags when you use a word limit on the introtext. So in order to avoid this we strip the tags. You can populate the Allowed Tags box in the Microblog/Slideshow/bambooBox parameters with tags you want left in.
It is on the cards to find an efficient solution to closed opened tags in the future.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Okay, I think I understand. It's because I formatted the beginning text of each article. I had the same issue again with the slideshow, and added some <br> tags to separate out the text, which helped to fix the problem. Now I know.

Would be nice to have an overall fix, though.

Thanks,
Melody
  • AllegroMelody
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 534 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Thanks Melody
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hey guys

I really do appreciate your help on this - but it's really a huge ongoing problem for me. After I thought I had everything sorted out and looking good on my Mac in Firefox & Safari, I got a message from someone today that the site looked bad on a PC in IE (same problem as yesterday with content moving around on the page). Fixed it by tweaking, deleting, changing format, and moving the articles around - but this means that I'm going to have to do this every time someone adds any content to be posted on the front page, and I'll never know if it will work on all browsers or not. Am I the only one having these problems with this template?

Sorry to complain, but thought you should be aware of this.

Thanks,
Melody
  • AllegroMelody
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 534 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hey Melody,

This would have less to do with the template and more to do with the modules and how they are setup. The problem occurs if tags are not stripped. When we have an update for closing opened tags, we will let you know. However with the problem of copying text from other sources and carrying across markup, you will have trouble with that universally and IE will be the first to trip up on it.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers