Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

how to... develop a parallel template while site ?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

My searches haven't turned up anything so the answer to my question must be so simple that everyone else knows how to do it.

I have a live site that I want to replace with a JB template.... but I need to keep the existing site live while tweaking the new one. How can I have a parallel site running on shared (live) data?
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi there,

This is prob more of a general Joomla question and would relate to any template. I guess the only real difference between templates will be module positions (give or take a few extra features like analytics, hidden panels etc). But this is the way I would go about it:

- Grab a snapshot of the site using Akeeba.
- Install the backup locally or on the development domain
- Install the JB template and configure it with the data.
- Save the params.ini file for the template once setup. You would use this on the live site version of the JB template.
- Install the JB template on the live site and copy across the params.ini

The next stages will really depend on how adept you are at phpmyadmin.

- You could grab the tables that relate to the module positions from your development install and then import it into the live site.
- Enable the new template

or a safer way ...

- enable the new template.
- Reassign the module positions on the live site according to the way you have them on the development site.
- This will of course mean the site will look messy for a little while but doesnt require any indepth phpmyadmin skills.

Hope that helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers