Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Installing Template vs. Quickstart vs. Snapshots

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I love the idea of the Snapshots as a way to install all the template goodies, but I'm confused about what happens when I install everything (including all the Joomla goodies) if I already have things installed on my site. Do the newer versions overwrite the old ones? Should I uninstall everything (including Joomla) from within my admin panel?

I don't have any content that I'm worried about losing (still toying with templates), so I'm happy to start from scratch.

BTW, I'm a novice with all this stuff (which is why the Snapshots appeal to me), but have been searching for great templates for years, and I keep coming back to JB - there is nothing out there as sleek and classy as your templates.
  • Kathy Parsonnet
  • Previous Member
  • 2 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kathy,

Thank you for your kind JB comments. I know Anthony will be quite pleased in reading them. Now, to answer your specific questions regarding the three ways that JB packages their themes.

QUICKSTART: This is a complete Joomla/Template offering. It can only be installed as a fresh, brand new installation. You can not install it over-top of an existing Joomla installation without experiencing a great deal of issues. It is a great way to get a turn-key template offering that looks and works just like the demo.

TEMPLATE: As the name states, this is just the base template. It does not have all of the extensions, content images or settings that are used to create or display the demo. It is just that... a template.

SNAPSHOT: Now this is where being a JB member get fun. Snapshot is (to the very best of my knowledge) unique to Joomla Bamboo. What it does is allow you to install a new JB template offering onto a pre-existing Joomla install and get it looking and working just like the demo. This is providing you had or do install all of the extensions used in creating this template. This is why JB lists and makes available for download what extensions they used for this theme off to the right. The cool part of Snapshot is quite simply, having your cake and eat it to! With only one Joomla installation you can install several JB Template Snapshots and switch between then with only a few clicks. All the while, getting your Joomla looking and working just like the demo package.

I hope this explains the three different JB template offerings and by all means, ask again if I missed something. in addition, Anthony or some of the other Mods might jump in to correct the comments I made above. If so... please take their word(s) to the bank!

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers