Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Avanti Quickstart queries

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi all

I just joined over the weekend, set up a test server and followed the steps to upload the Avanti template to 'have a play'. I now have several queries (and I do think they may be all related to some strange things as a result of the setup). Note that I am using an un-propogated domain using a direct link to my site which required me to alter the live site variable in my configuration.php file before I could even view the front page of this test website. Eg. server.host.com/~myaccountname:

1) I can't figure out how to change the 'yellow button' in the slideshow to the 'blue button'. In the Color Settings of the template, I have the Background Image set to blue.jpg and I have the Typographical Hilite set to style2 which seems to make some things blue but not others.

2) I could not unpublish one of the slideshow items and realised that the column information was missing for the last item. I managed to solve that by deleting the record in phpMyadmin so there was some sort of corruption there.

3) I selected JCE as my default editor but then discovered the component was not properly installed so I downloaded separately and re-installed to get that working.

4) Similarly to the JCE problem, I noticed that some modules for K2 seem to be installed but there is no component in the Joomla Components dropdown and nor do I get any option to select K2 templates despite the sub-folder structure being visible in file manager: templates/avanti/html/com_k2/ so it looks like that is not installed correctly.

Question:

Does the quickstart package work or have I not done something correctly? The only difference I recall when running the install index.php file was that on one of the first pages, it labelled Error Messages (or reporting) as a red ON saying that the preference was for that to be OFF but it also said that this was optional. I left it as on thinking it may be useful.

Regards
Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Michelle,

Welcome aboard!

1. The slideshow button is controlled by the templates theme so if you select blue then the slideshow readmore should also be blue. The rule that references the colour can be found in the colour theme you choose:

eg templates/avanti/style/hilite/style2.css

Look for: .slideshowContent span.readmore and you will see that it references the image from there.

2. Which item could you not unpublish. Pretty sure you shouldnt have to edit the table to do that.

3. Ill look into that - possibly a mix up int he production quickstart package.

4. templates/avanti/html/com_k2/ is the override file and you have to install K2 separately or use the K2 version of the quickstart. The overrides are shipped with every template.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony

I definitely think something is very screwed up with the installation and I am surprised I am getting anything at all.

1. The style2.css is showing ../images/blueButton.png (I did check that but forgot to say so) and the image is in the directory along with the others. And I've just double-checked that style2.css is selected and it is. I am getting the blue Open Panel image though.

2. The item that I couldn't unpublish was the last in the list for the slideshow category. It shared a duplicate title with another item in the list and I actually deleted both. But it didn't have a date column or any other column data after the date which is why I decided it was a corrupted record and I deleted it from the backend.

3. It is either the quickstart package or it was my server doing something weird at the time.

4. I only got a choice of one quickstart package (although I did see a blog item earlier today when searching for possible answers that suggested there were two download packages).

If you can check the quickstart package and get back to me, I might just try deleting what I have and starting from scratch again. I think I am heading off into the wilderness continuing with the current setup because the installation is not behaving as it should.

Regards

Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Anthony
Just letting you know that I have deleted the old installation, downloaded the Avanti with K2 Quickstart (the download area looks different from what I saw before) and am currently uploading ready to re-install.
Cheers
Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
One other question I had which I couldn't figure out was which image and where is it for the black/grey that is shown either side of the slideshow box. I know where to change the background image behind the slideshow but I don't know where to change the image either side of the background to the slideshow.

Cheers
Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Hi again
I have re-installed with the K2 and now it shows as a component so that is good.
However, no amount of changing the colour settings will get the slideshow orange/yellow button to change to a different graphic. It's almost like it is cached somewhere and I can't get it to refresh.
Regards
Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Hey Michelle, The color for the button comes from an image which you can locate in
/modules/mod_slideshow3/images/

You can alter the image and if the color does not change after that, I'd say it would be a caching issue. Best to post a link or get someone to check it for you.

Cheers,
Jason.

p.s. Welcome to JB :)
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hi Jason

Thanks on the welcome (and I should have said thanks to Anthony on his welcome too)!

What you say is interesting then. In the /modules/mod_slideshow3/images/ there are not many images. At the moment, it is displaying:

however, my settings for the template are:

and Anthony said to look at the templates/avanti/style/hilite/style2.css file for slideshowContent span.readmore which is displaying:

/* Slideshow Button Links */
.slideshowContent span.readmore {background: url(../images/blueButton.png) no-repeat;height: 36px;width: 125px;color: #fff;padding-top: 12px}

and the blueButton.png file I presumed was pulled from templates/avanti/style/images/.

Something doesn't add up here - the two responses conflict with each other. If what you are saying is true then there should be a broken image (not a yellow button). If what Anthony is saying is true, it should work (which it doesn't).

I have cleared all the cache in both browsers I use to test - IE8 and Chrome and I have cleared Joomla's cache in two areas too.

The URL to see this is at:

cpanel61.gzo.com/~develop/

Unfortunately, I found it hard to work out how to add images to this post. The preview was not showing them. I am using Chrome. Mind you - nor are the Boardcode: images displaying properly - there are just broken graphics all over the place and yet the emoticons are showing fine. I have noticed broken images dotted throughout your website. I don't know if it is a browser issue or what?

Regards
Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by cybecom.
Hi Michelle,

Sorry about the delay on returning to this.

1. Basically there is a clash with the slideshow css and the Avanti css. We are a little undecided about how best to implement the different styling for the slideshows in each template and basically it looks liek we had a bet each way.

For the time being you can go to the modules/mod_slideshow/slideshow/slideshow.css and delete the reference to the yellow button in this rule:

.slideShowContainerDark .slideshowContent span.readmore

That will give you back control of the slideshow buttons via the template and we will work out the best way to implement the dark slideshow theme into templates other than avanti.

2. I just did a fresh install of the Avanti quickstart and unpublished the article in question and then deleted it and it behaved as I would have expected. It disappeared from the slideshow and then was no longer in the content manager. That being said there doesnt need to be two articles named the same in the quickstart so Ill update that.

3. The JCE issue is definitely there - plugin is installed but not the component so we will get onto that too.

5. The banner image behind the slideshow and is found at templates/avanti/style/bg/ and is referenced in the index.php file. We did that to reduce the number of css files needed for the template so if you need to change the styling you will need to look in the index.php file or just edit the bg that you have assigned in the template params.

Sorry about the confusing responses in this thread :) and thanks for the reminder about the missing emoticons. Sometimes if its after a page refresh and the page starts at the bottom or where you were on the previous page its to do with the lazy load plugin but I do believe the emoticons are missing and it relates to a dodgy upgrade on the kunen forum software. ill fix that now.

Let us know how you get on.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony

Thanks for this. I was starting to think maybe I was losing my marbles :-)

With the template image name question - it was the image to the side of the slideshow background and not the background itself. I had worked out what the image was for the background (as it is specifically referenced in the template parameters) but I was wanting to change the grey/black image on either side of that.

Can you point me in the right spot there?

Regards

Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
Hi Michelle,

Not 100% that I have understood correctly, but if you meant the colour that extends to the sides of the smoky background image, you can alter the highlighted hex value in the same rule as the image:

.bannerRow {background:url("templates/avanti/style/bg/blue.jpg") no-repeat scroll center top #232323;}

Let us know if I have misunderstood!
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Seth
That is the answer. I was looking for 232323 but everywhere else. The solution was staring me in the face literally!!!
Cheers
Michelle
  • cybecom
  • Previous Member
  • 8 posts
B)

Glad I got it right and you got it sorted. The answer often is close, but just out of sight.

Cheers
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers