Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Avanti - Thumbnail links

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello!

I have a JB Slideshow on the frontpage of a restaurant site that I'm building using the Avanti template. The slideshow has 5 thumbnails. What I would like to do is this: Click a thumbnail and you're taken to the associated article. This is working just fine for three of the five thumbnails. But when you click the other two, you are taken to the article.. but the JB Slideshow also appears beneath the article. How to I hide the slideshow that is being displayed beneath the article for these two thumbnail links? I can provide a link if necessary.

Thanks,

Percy
  • Percy
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 330 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Percy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Percy,

A link would be most helpful...

Getting the Slideshow to show beneath the article is a bit odd... this is new to me, so a link would be welcomed so we all can have a good look!

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Ed,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! You may have a look here:

lineofvision.com/restaurants/restaurantAvanti/index.php?

Brunch, Lunch and Dinner thumbs appear to work as expected, Dessert and Hors dourvres are the ones I'm trying to correct.

Thanks
  • Percy
  • 330 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hey Percy,

You get the slideshow appearing on those two links because they do not have a unique item id in the menu database and hence Joomla will try to create a relative view based on the page you are currently on.
If you add these articles as menu item to either one of your existing menus or just a dummy menu that you create and don't want to use, that should give them unique id's and solve the problem for you.
Let us know how that works.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Percy,

I see that you got it worked out... was it a matter of assigning items to a menu as Jason mentioned?

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Jason and Ed,

Jason, Thank you very much for the fix!

The weird thing is... I have not implemented your recommendations.. (or done anything at all) and now it's working ! Any additional ideas as to perhaps why? Weird.

Ed, Your inquiry as to what fixed the challenge, caused me to check the site to see what you meant. And you're right. It's working! Just not sure why.

Thanks Guys!
  • Percy
  • 330 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Ed...

I think I spoke too soon. It's an on again off again situation.. works..doesn't work.
I'll follow Jason's advise re how to correct this and report back.

Thanks

Percy
  • Percy
  • 330 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Percy,

I just checked it again with Chrome and all looks good. Don't you just hate those "on again off again situation". Please keep us posted
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Guys,

I've got it working if I create menu items. But I'm not clear as to how to do it with a dummy menu (and would like to use dummy menu that doesn't show item/article in main menu).

I also have slideshows at other locations that cannot have 'menu's'... like here:

Can you please advise me how to hide the slideshow in these articles?

Thanks!!

Percy

Ed -- Can you tell me a bit more about Chrome? Is it a browser? I've heard the word.. not sure what it's all about. Thanks!
  • Percy
  • 330 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Percy. Reason: Remove link
Hey Percy,

The 'dummy' menu is called that since we do not want to publish the menu itself on any of the pages. The menu items in that dummy menu remain published though. If you do not want the slideshow to appear on any of the article links then you will need to go to the module parameters of the slideshow and select the menu items where you want it to appear. (Deselect the dummy menu items in your case).
Chrome is Googles browser and it is pretty fast and good for what I can see. It is taking on a lot of new developer extensions now and seems like a good alternative to firefox :)
I still cannot live without firebug.

Cheers,
Jason
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Jason!

I'll do as you suggest and let you know. :-)

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Percy
  • Percy
  • 330 posts
  • 1 Thanks
And Jason,....thanks for the info on Chrome! It was rude of me to forget. :( I'll do some homework on Chrome.

I've been experiencing far too many situations lately where Firefox just "hangs" and I need to restart. I've been using Flock as my primary test browser (as well an IE, Opera, Firefox).

Percy
  • Percy
  • 330 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Always welcome Percy :)
Never used flock. Guess I should see what it is all about.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers