Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

QuickStart vs. Template Files

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

You need to install the sample data Matthew, it is integral to the snapshot.

Don't worry though, the actual content is minimal and is much easier to get rid of than the default Joomla sample data ;)
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Seth.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hey Matthew,

Glad you like the templates and hope they serve you well.

If you'd like an installation without the sample data but all the modules configured, then you will need to install the following..

The Snapshot Core Plus packager (Joomla installation with extensions)
The Avanti template (template)
The Avanti Snapshot (component)
The Blank Sample Data (component)

These are all available on the Avanti download page.
In that order, they should serve you well.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
D'oh!! :blush:

Yeah, what Jason said.

Sorry, Matthew. My only excuse is that it is getting late here and my brain is obviously starting to fail me (probably the beer!)!
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hello,
OK, sorry for being a pest, but I still don't get it.

Here are the exact names of the elements named in Jason's post (in the same order):
(1) Snapshot Core Plus
(2) Avanti - Joomla 1.5 Template
(3) Snapshot: Avanti Template
(4) Blank Sample data

I installed (1), then attempted to install (2) as a template, but got this error message:
Template Install: Another template is already using directory: "/home8/thedogwr/public_html/Test2/templates/avanti"

The thing is, when I check the template manager, I see the Avanti template installed after step (1). So I figured maybe step (2) was taken care of through step (1)? So I went ahead and did step (3) and (4) but still nothing. None of the third-party extensions appears in the administrative area.

As you can tell, I'm a bit confused about the process here.

Is there are more straightforward way to install your templates?

Would it be better to just install Avanti on a fresh Joomla installation, then manually install each of the Bamboo extensions and third-party extensions, instead of using the snapshot/quicklaunch route?

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 2 months ago by matthewschenker.
Hey Matthew,

Still sounds like the original sample data wasnt installed.

There is a quickstart package for Avanti that might be easier for you to use.

Let me know if thats any easier for you.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
No, the Quickstart package gives the same results. None of the Bamboo extensions or the third-party extensions is installed.

Maybe it would be better to just install Avanti on a fresh Joomla installation, then manually install each of the Bamboo extensions and third-party extensions, instead of using the snapshot/quicklaunch route?

The problem is, using the quicklaunch/snapshot method seems to leave me in an in-between land: the extensions are not able to be activated, but I also cannot install them.

Thanks,
Matthew

PS: I asked the above question in my post above, but was adding it as an edit while you were typing your response -- you're too fast!
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Lol no problem.

Im not sure where the issue is but it does work.

If you see the files on the server but not in the Joomla admin then it means the sample data fromt he original quickstart or snapshot hasnt been intalled.

If its the case that the extensions show up in joomla but no files on the server then there was a faulty upload somewhere.

What you can do is import the sql from the core plus snapshot if thats the one you used. Making sure you have changed the #__ to jos_ in the .sql file.

That might be too complex depending on your knowledge of phpmyadmin and if it is id suggest starting from scratch with the quickstart if its just the quickstart you want to setup.

hoep that helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony and Jason,
OK, I just deleted the old database and started over again. I installed the "Snapshot Core Plus" with the sample data, and hey -- what do you know, the plugins and modules are all there!

I only installed the "core plus" and nothing else. So now, just one last question: is it really necessary to install the "Snapshot: Avanti Template" and the "Blank Sample data"?

Just trying to figure all this out, which I am confident will happen tonight and I won't have to ask any more of these kinds of questions!

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Cool - thought that might be the issue.

No need to do the blank sample data.

Just the Avanti template then the Avanti TMPL Snapshot.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
OK, it's getting late here in the East Coast USA, so I won't be bugging you too much longer.

According to my template manager, Avanti is already installed, without having to install the Avanti Template specifically (it seemed to be done through the core plus installation).

I did install the Avanti template snapshot, however.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
I am brand new to joomla bamboo and i absolutely love the layouts and design. I have a hostgator account and am trying to get the jb avanti quickstart to install on my joomla backend. It doesn;t seem to be working? Please can anyone help, someone told me that they do not work or a peice of code is missing?
  • austinluther
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 30 posts
@Matthew Ill check on Avanti already being in the snapshot. But is it set up now?

@austin - do you mind creating a new topic for your question? Not sure what you mean by missing code?

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
well i had mentioned to a joomla instructor about these great templates and that i was having trouble installing the quickstart template avanti. I probably just don;t know how but he mentioned people have trouble because of some code. I really am not sure i just have a hostgator account and used fantastico to make a quick install. Once i logged into joomla i can;t seem to get the template to install the full quickstart. Please help
  • austinluther
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 30 posts
Anthony Olsen wrote:
@austin - do you mind creating a new topic for your question? Not sure what you mean by missing code?

Also please read the difference between the quickstart and templates here on the documentation page:

www.joomlabamboo.com/documentation/general-documentation/joomla-template-documentation

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
Yes, it's all working fine now!

I did another installation on a temporary database, just to test and make sure I had it right, and yes -- the Avanti theme got installed when I used the "core plus" snapshot from the Avanti download page, without having to specifically install the template.

See, you're even better than you thought!

I look forward to reporting back as my site is up and running. Your templates really look terrific!

Thanks again,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
That's great Matthew and thanks for getting back to us :)

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers