Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Can't install Woodflower snapshot

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Trying to install local copy of Woodflower snapshot on local Kubuntu 9.10 system.

Following directions for snapshot installation.
1. Install the Core package .... done
2. Install the template ...
a. In Extension Manager > Install, browse to downloaded template file JB_WoodFlower_J1.5_v1.0.zip
b. Press Upload File & Install
c. Backend disappears and white page with following message appears:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 64 bytes) in /var/www/wa1rr/libraries/domit/xml_domit_lite_parser.php on line 1312

Undaunted (well, maybe a little daunted) I attempted to Install from Directory. After unzipping template file to a temp directory and pointing Install from Directory to it pushed Install. Same result as in 2.c. above.

What now?

Regards,
Ed
  • Ed Haskell
  • Previous Member
  • 6 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Ed,

I am pretty sure that this is related to the memory limit set for php in your lamp setup.

If I recall correctly, you can increase it by changing the value set in php.ini. Search for memory_limit and change the value to 32M. You probably need to sudo before you can edit the file though.

If you have an .htaccess file in your Joomla install, you could add the following line there instead:

php_value memory_limit 32M
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Thanks, Seth,

I last set up Joomla on a WinXP machine last summer and had forgotten about having to raise the memory limit. I didn't notice the 8 digit number in the error msg was 16meg or I might have remembered!

Ed
  • Ed Haskell
  • Previous Member
  • 6 posts
No problem Ed,

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for dropping back to let us know.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Given that I get this error on every install (yeah, a whopping three of them right now) I wonder if there's a way to fix the quickstart installer sets.
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
Hi David,

Ive asked you this question before but are you trying to install the quickstart zips via the Joomla installer? Or are you trying to install the woodflower template? What is the exact filename that you are installing?

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Avanti. Quickstart. I unzip first then upload. We have to jump through this hoop every time.
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
Ok thanks for confirming that but Im still a little in the dark about what you are experiencing.

Also you have posted this in a thread regarding woodflower :)

So if you are getting a blank screen then you can turn error reporting on in the site configuration and you can get a better description of whats happening and if you are getting this error or something like it:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 64 bytes) in /var/www/wa1rr/libraries/domit/xml_domit_lite_parser.php on line 1312

then it means there is a limitation on the server for the size that you are trying to install.

Ive just checked the avanti template (JB_Zen_Avanti_J1.5_v1.0.3.zip) and its only 414kb in file size so it wont be pushing the 2meg file size limit that exists on most servers.

Can you tell me the exact error on the screen?

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/virtual/
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
Ok so thats an issue with your server and the file upload limit.

Try adding this to the configuration.php file just after the opening <?php
ini_set('memory_limit','256M');
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I should say that once its installed then you can then remove this code and seek a more permanent solution on your server.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Quickstart success, achieved two ways

Method 1:
when the template quickstart is unzipped locally (as i don't have unzip privieges on my current host), then pushed into place via ftp, the quickstart method required some little tweaks to coax it to work. Done manually, this is time consuming and frustrating, given my nontechnical background. So my ISP wrote me a perlscript to make those little changes automatically (a couple file renames, some paramameter changes) etc. The successful method was: a] unzip on local machine, b] ftp to server web root, c] run script, d] proceed with install

Method 2:
my isp rep had me place the quickstart.zip via ftp into the web server root, then he unzipped and installed via SSH in a terminal window. Bingo! No changes or tweaks required. (though you need shell access and a bit of terminal knowledge for this method, or failing that, a very friendly soul at your isp.)

Note - this is for Zen Avanti (though I am in a Woodlfower thread), but my suspicion is, this will work for all of them.

My ISP said they would happily do method b for me, and I just sent them a pizza for lunch.

PS: fast support from Anthony, as I climb the short learning curve. (Thanks Anthony.)
  • blueshift
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2579 posts
  • 78 Thanks
Last Edit: 13 years 10 months ago by blueshift.
Thanks David.

Im about to write a blog post on the ideal way to install Joomla to help people with cutting out these types of issues.

Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Yeah, you can't beat SSH for speed. Kickstart is also a nice option for those without shell access.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers