Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Responsive2 Installation

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

I installed the Responsive2 template following the procedure given here:
docs.joomlabamboo.com/getting-started/how-to-install-a-joomla-template

When I preview the site it just shows a blank page, other than 4 social media buttons (see attached). Shouldn't it look the same as the Live Preview for the template on the Joomla Bamboo site?

Regards
Attachments:
  • Rogellio
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

are you installing the quickstart version?

do you have a link for the site?

cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
No I didn't install the quickstart version. As I said, I followed the procedure in the article for which I provided a link in my original post.

However in retrospect I should have installed the quickstart version.

Can I install it over the top of the existing installation or do I need to uninstall the existing version first, and if so how do I do that?

Thanks

PS. Why is my actual name being displayed under my avatar (in the forum), and not my user name?
  • Rogellio
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Rogellio.
Hi

sorry I meant to add this link

docs.joomlabamboo.com/getting-started/how-to-install-a-joomla-3-quickstart-package

A quickstart can only be installed to an empty folder
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Why is my actual name being displayed under my avatar (in the forum), and not my user name?

What does it say in your profile?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
When in the forum it shows my actual name under the avatar, and under the thread title ('Post started by name').

What name do you see?
  • Rogellio
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
I can see "Roger Banfield" on your posts
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
If you go to the view Profile and then on the left side of the screen is an edit button

You can change details there I think - I'm not a 100% as its an age since I had to do it and I can't test changing my profile as it has nearly 35,000 forum replies attached :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
That's a fair few posts you've made! :ohmy:

The profile page includes a 'User Name' field and a 'Name' field. My posts display the content of the 'Name' field. Is 'paulus103' taken from your 'User Name' or 'Name' field?
  • Rogellio
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Rogellio.
I'm assuming it's my username - I can now see your username reads

"Rogellio"

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
With respect to the installation, I first installed Joomla (automatically via my hosting provider/cPanel) which gave me the default site, then installed the JCE extension, then the Responsive2 template using the procedure in your Help article 'How to install a Joomla template'.

My understanding (assumption) was that because the quickstart package contains a complete Joomla installation, and I had already installed Joomla, I would need to overlay the theme. However the article ('How to install a Joomla template') does state that this only needs to be done if you've already made changes to the default Joomla installation. In retrospect, I realise I should've installed the quickstart package. I can start again from scratch and do that, but presumably I don't need to do. To proceed without doing so it looks like I just need to download and install the extensions.

I've now found the Help article 'What is the difference between a Joomla template and the quickstart packages?' which confirms that I need to install the extensions. However it also states that "It is not possible to install the quickstart package on top of an existing Joomla installation". This appears to contradict the instructions at the start of the article 'How to install a Joomla template', which advises that you should "Choose this option if you already have your site created OR have at least made changes to the default Joomla installation and want to overlay this theme onto your site.". This suggests that if you haven't made changes to the default Joomla installation you can install the quickstart package. I was sceptical that I understood this correctly when I first read it , which is why I used the 'overlay' option.

I think I need to go through some more Joomla training videos and explore the Responsive2 documentation.
  • Rogellio
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
You can check what your User Name field shows by clicking on the Edit button in your profile. However 'paulus103' is surely your 'User Name'.
My posts only show 'Rogellio' because I changed the content of the 'Name' field.
  • Rogellio
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
ah I stupidly have both my name and username as the same - I was going off the class name in html of the forum software

Thanks for updating / correcting me on this

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Siteground has some tutorials users have found useful

www.siteground.co.uk/tutorials/joomla/

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Sorry for any confusion regarding the installation documentation

The way a lot of members work is to have two separate sites

One site containing the quickstart and the other site as the real project site

Then compare and copy settings from the quickstart to the real site as a learning exercise and speeding up the development process without having the unwanted content from the quickstart

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes the SiteGround resources are useful. I've got a demo site with them so will probably take the approach you described and install the quickstart there.

Thanks for your suggestions
  • Rogellio
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 11 posts
You're welcome

Good luck with the site

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers