Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

425 Blog pages, any other way?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi I am wondering, if a client I am building a site for has 425 blog posts from a weebly account, that I am redesigning for her... Is there any way arround one of us making 425 articles and over 100 categories one by one? and entering the page content one by one?

I know html and css, and if I were doing a static site, I would "save as" and place the content in. Is there a way to do something like that here? It seems very tedious to either give a client the task of entering in 425 articles archived, or having her pay me to do that,

Is there a way I don't know about using Databases or pulling an html page and 'saving as'? or anything like that?

Thanks,
Rachel
  • rkimmel
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 93 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Rachel,

Just to let you know we were talking about this last night and Anthony will be getting back to you on this later today (UK time)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thank you!
  • rkimmel
  • 93 posts
Hi there,

I actually used a scraping technique to move our old documentation from Flexicontent back to Joomla content. It is possible to do this via php script and then import the content into the Joomal database.

But I must say that it took quite a time to figure out and is a little fraught as a process.

The key is to have the list of urls that you can use. If you would like us to look at doing this for you we could certainly give a detailed quite but would need to look at the site to see the url structure.

As a guess I think it would take around 8 hours so you would be looking at something like $600 USD at least.

But anyway if you wanted to discuss further perhaps create a ticket so we can discuss the details further there.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
An easy way to avoid having to download each page manually:

Use (free) microsoft expression web (www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179) Choose site/new site/import site wizard. Connection type= http, location= http... and enter the levels deep to crawl and you'll have all the pages individually downloaded. It should take you 15 minutes tops to install the tool and download your site and all the images.

Expression web is a split code/ wysiwyg editor designed for website creation / html editing, so you can find common text you don't want and strip it out until all you are left with is the true blog post. I've used expression web to download sites I wanted to learn more about.... like what cms it was running or how a certain thing was done..

Perhaps it's not the most elegant solution, but you'll have the blog posts in text format (including the html paragraphs, bold, italics if you want to keep them. ).

The files will be saved on your pc with the url file name hierarchy (in folders).

You can also use xenu (free) home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html to down load a list of all the urls on the site (and identify all broken links it finds too)

Uploading and importing the posts would need to be done with a php script customized for your needs.
  • corinaw
  • 26 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Wow, thanks both of you, I probably need time to really look this over carefully. Very much appreciated.
  • rkimmel
  • 93 posts
Sounds like an easier way to go actually. Worth checking it out for sure.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers