Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Disabling CSS Compression screws up top nav menu layout

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

Template: JBNewsCycle
Zen Grid Version: 1.1.7
Joomla! 2.5.16
Virtuemart 2.0.20b

As per the subject line, Disabling CSS Compression screws up the top nav menu layout.

Enabling the CSS compression under;
Template ->Extras -> Performance: fixes the layout issue but also creates a system cache file zengridframework that (if left) screws the site layout completely after 3 days.

Sounds crazy I know. It is fine for a period of time (Enabling CSS compression) but after around 3 days the site layout gets completely screwed up, clearing the site cache (the zengridframework cache with 0 files and 0 size!!) under Joomla -> Maintenance fixes it.

I have attached a screen shot of CSS compression enabled (Good Nav) and one with it dis-abled (Bad Nav)

Next time sites screws up completely I will do another screen shot before clearing the cache (which fixes it up instantly) only for it to happen again after another few days..

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the site: www.bigtablecloths.com.au/

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Attachments:
  • chrismaber
  • JB Pro
  • 6 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Chris,

Very odd... generally it is the other way around regarding CSS Compression. So that we are talking apples to apples would you make the necessary updates to;

Zen Grid Version: 1.1.11
JBNews Cycle

Please remember... any template core code adjustments made will get overwritten on template update.

Finally, before updating anything make 100% sure you have a current backup... just in case!

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Ed,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Where can I download the updates, I just have a FREE membership?

The site belongs to friend of mine who I am helping out.
  • chrismaber
  • JB Pro
  • 6 posts
Hi Chris,

Best to login with your friends account so you can grab an update.

But I'm not sure an update will fix it to be honest. Sounds more like an issue with permissions on the cache folder.

At any rate if you login with your friends account we will be able to help you further. Until then we can't help you any more with this.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

What should the cache folder permissions be set to and where do I find the location of the cache folder?
  • chrismaber
  • JB Pro
  • 6 posts
Hi Anthony,

My cache folder under the root directory has permissions set as 755. The two directories inside the cache folder com_virtuemart_cats and zengridframework are also both set for 755.
  • chrismaber
  • JB Pro
  • 6 posts
Thanks Chris.

Can you login with your friends account so we can help you further?

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi,

Not sure if my friend still has an active subscription to the forum as his site is a couple of years old.

If my friend's subscription is expired is my only solution to getting help with this issue is to upgrade my current membership to paid membership?

More information about permissions of directories and files;
jbnewscycle: 755
jbnewscycle/css: 755
jbnewscycle/css: 755
jbnewscycle/css/bodyGrey.css: 444
jbnewscycle/css/hiliteDeepOrange.css: 644
jbnewscycle/css/theme.css: 644

So..., I have 2 issues
1. site looks fine with css compression turned on but screws up with this setting after around 3 days, clearing the Joomla cache under site ->maintenance fixes it for another 3 days
2. leaving css compression turned off, site looks fine but the main page nav items padding gets screwed forcing it to go to 2 lines instead of one.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
  • chrismaber
  • JB Pro
  • 6 posts
Yes you will need to upgrade to get access or further help.

You can check ownership issues by changing the folder permissions to 777.

If you can supply your friends user account I can check the user account history and will send you any updates beyond your current version.

Otherwise we cant offer more help on this issue based on your membership status.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

Can I just upgrade my status to get help with my friends web site, I am helping him with this problem?

If I upgrade my status and provide the relevant ftp and joomla admin login can you guys login to the site to assist further?

Changing the below folders (non recursively) to 777 did not help in regards to the main page menu items getting screwed up (left padding way to big forcing them to take up 2 lines instead of just 1 line) when turning off CSS compression.

cache
jbnewscycle
jbnewscycle/css
jbnewscycle/css/bodyGrey.css
jbnewscycle/css/hiliteDeepOrange.css
jbnewscycle/css/bottomTan.css
jbnewscycle/css/theme.css

Chris
  • chrismaber
  • JB Pro
  • 6 posts
Hi Chris,

Sure.

If you sign up to a subscription you will then have access to the ticket system where we can help troubleshoot this for you.

Cheers
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers