Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Help Needed! Can't get QuickStart package to work

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi

I've been trying for a few days to get Grid working. I've tried installing the quick start package (three times). Including the latest from today.

I've been assuming that once installed I'd get something that more or less replicated exactly the demo site (including the content? Homepage etc). Not sure if that's correct. Either way I'm really struggling to get the template working.

Essentially I install the package as per instructions on the Grid demo site (including ensuring I install the Joomla sample data as part of the install).

Problem is, that after the install, none of the modules/plugins are there. If I delete these via FTP and then reinstall I can get them working but I'm struggling to get anything that looks like the demo.

It's been a couple of years since I've worked with Joomla so I was really hoping to get the demo up and running so I could see how things hung together and then update with our content.

I suspect it's something to do with my hosting but I can't really change that for a number of reasons.

My hosting doesn't allow new databases but it does of course let me change the table prefixes - so it might be something to do with old tables even though I have given completely different prefixes? It could be other host config stuff but I very much doubt I'm going to be able to change these.

Any ideas REALLY welcome as I'm getting to frustration point now.

Help...

Many thanks

Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Martin,

Assuming that you clicked on the install sample data option it sounds like you may need to update the configuration file with the prefix you are using for the site. Its easier of course just to have separate databases for each site but I understand the limitations of some hosts.

If you open the configuration.php fiel in the site root and change this var $dbprefix = 'jos_'; to your prefix I would say that that will sort the issue for you.

Let me know how you get on.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony

Yes, I did click the install sample data option during the install.

I've checked the configuration.php file but it does have the same prefix I used during the install.

Any other things I could try?

Thanks for you help.

Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Hi Martin,

as I just had some probs with installing Grid, perhaps some hints:
but I'm struggling to get anything that looks like the demo

That's what also I expected, but didn't achieve.
After getting help by Jason, who had to change the images PHP by reasons of server structure, the site looks like that: http://www.opics.eu/GRID/.

Before going into detail, send some pics or the URL, if online.

Greetings from Munich, Bavaria

Carsten
  • Carsten Duerksen-Schwarzer
  • Previous Member
  • 34 posts
Hi Martin,

I think you will need to check the database itself to see what prefix the grid specific db is stored in. I guess this is why using one is always the easiest but Im sure the info is hiding there somewhere you just need to tap it.

@Carsten - just checked your site. To replicate teh demo site you need to publish only captify content to the banner position on the front page. Then make sure the module title is set to no. That should get everything looking snug there.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony
check the database itself to see what prefix the grid specific db is stored in

I have MySQL Administrator installed on local machine but I'm no expert. How would I do the above?

Hi Carsten - thanks for the help. URL of test site is www.distantobject.com/film5 but not a lot showing right now as no access to modules/plugins etc even though I can see them via FTP they don't appear in Joomla Admin.

Will work my way through what's sounding like server config issues (with help from the forum) and reply back.

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Hi Martin,

after clicking |Install data samples| did you really wait until message appeared |Samples installed|?
I had that problem as well, same look as your site. Reason was, that I continued installation before getting message|saples installed|

Cheers, Carsten
  • Carsten Duerksen-Schwarzer
  • Previous Member
  • 34 posts
Hi

Well it's taken all day but I have the work around for this.

Bottom line is to make sure you install the Grid template (and probably others?) in separate Joomla databases.

Although it's possible to have two installations in the same Joomla database (using different table prefixes e.g. jos_, jos1_, jos2_ etc) and even have different versions (1.0 and 1.5) of Joomla sites running using the same prefix kind of convention (e.g.jos1_, jos1.5_ or whatever).

It seems like something goes wrong when you try to install the Joomla Bamboo quickstart packages in this way. I don't know exactly what the issue is. Just that when you try to install a quickstart pkg into an existing database it doesn't work. If you install into a clean database it works ok.

If, like me, your hosting provider only gives you one MySQL database then that needs to be cleared before you install (this is what I ended up doing having first installed MySQL server locally and using the command line to log in and "drop" the database (my hosting providers DB tools are pretty limited too but MySQL was easy enough).

If you can have more than one database then I guess you're ok - which is what Anthony recommends, although I personally wasn't able to try this.

Before I did all of the above I made sure I'd backed everything up so I can transfer things over.

Essentially I've been trying to migrate from Joomla 1.0 to 1.5 and get the Grid (great template!) working. Looks like the migration work will actually be a copy/paste.

If any one can recommend good Joomla hosting (particularly in UK/Europe I'd be interested).

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Thanks for posting this Martin,

I feel like your issues would have been solved if you had a better tool to view the db. Sometimes when you install joomla it creates bak_ tables for the current database but its hard to tell whats happening without seeing the database itself.

Dont know of any in the uk or Europe but Id say that at a bare minum you need to have multiple databases - but it sounds liek you have already come to that conclusion.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
No problem Anthony.

I also installed MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query browser which are both great tools for seeing into the DBs so I was able to do that and the bak_ table were there but to be honest I didn't really want to get into struggling with databases and as the site isn't too big made the decision to go for a clean install and a copy/paste migration.

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Ah ok - would be interested to know if bak_ worked although I think that would be basically placing the existing data into there.

Thansk Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers