Support Forum

• Page:

Eclectic Parrot: New site using PixelEight

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Before you click on the link below to my brand new site, two caveats:

a) this is my first site, just uploaded to the host today (perhaps not fully debugged)
b) unlike some, I have a financial, rather than a technical background

With that in mind, I'd love to hear your comments.

Essentially, I've developed a small, boutique music site that cuts across a number of genres, using the splendid PixelEight template, which gave me the smaller, narrower footprint I was looking for. It's seeded with just a small amount of content for starters.

Here it is: eclecticparrot.com

Thanks for help I've received on these forums.

Finally, though I know not all Bamboo-ers are Australian, those that are might be interested in the exhaustive retrospective I published on one of my favorite Aussie bands, The Lucksmiths: eclecticparrot.com/features/artist-profile/34-sunlight-in-a-jar-lucksmiths-retrospective.html If any of you got the chance to see them live before their recent breakup, consider yourselves lucky.

Take care,

Jim
  • FChopin98
  • Previous Member
  • 17 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Going through you FAQ I am not sure who your audience is.

However, it is on my favorite and look forward to seeing the site become larger and wish you great success. You've gone with the cleanliness that I enjoy in JB templates to make a soothing, relaxing site. Most 'music sites' are black and flashy... I prefer to relax when listening or reading.

Good luck to the Eclectic Parrot
  • Astrophel
  • Free Extensions
  • 166 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Thanks for the kind words, Astrophel.

As far as the target audience is concerned, I agree it's a bit more diffuse than most music sites, which are a bit more targeted, but that's actually the point of the "eclectic" in the site title. In order to facilitate and encourage cross-referencing with respect to genre, I've employed tagging (and associated searching using Custom Properties, but only on my main top level "Reviews" and "Features" pages) on what I've termed "musical period", which is not the CD release date, but the actual period the music was originally composed or originally released. It may not make sense now, with only 7 reviews and 2 features, but as the site gets built up, I'm hoping this search facility encourages folks to explore across genres they may not be as familiar with.

Thanks again for your comments.
  • FChopin98
  • Previous Member
  • 17 posts
The target audience comment was more a compliment then critique ... with everyone compartmentalizing it is nice to be able to find yourself in a place where every link is a small adventure.

Have a great weekend!
  • Astrophel
  • Free Extensions
  • 166 posts
  • 2 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers