Support Forum

• Page:

J1.6 Te,plate compatibility

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hey guys, just a quick one, are any of the the templates compatible with J1.6 yet? Just looking at sprucing up my own site and thought I'd plan ahead!
  • John
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 16 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Not yet. They will be by the time that 1.6 is ready for production, but personally I think that is quite a way off yet.

There was quite a lot of discussion of this recently in another thread: www.joomlabamboo.com/forum/club-announcements/37398-roadmap-to-16

I am confident that as soon as it is safe to use 1.6 on a live site, Joomla Bamboo will be ready with the templates.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Hi everyone

I would like to use Newstream on a site that is going to go to 1.6 as soon as I can get it there

Any chance I can get Newstream in the 1.6 flavour?

J
  • Jay44
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 34 posts
Hi there,

The framework should be 1.6 compatible in the next few weeks. Ill keep you posted via the forum and the blog to let you know when its ready.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Any luck with the 1.6 tempates? I really want to use a few Joomla Bamboo templates, but I don't want to have to turn around and upgrade them later if I go with 1.5 now. When should I expect to see J1.6 templates released?
  • ridgeline
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 1 posts
Hi,

As Anthony said in the last post, the template framework will have been ported over in the coming weeks, working on porting across the templates will begin after that.

If you have projects to start now, I would advise you to go with 1.5. 1.6 is not yet ready for use on production sites and 1.5 is an LTS release that will be supported for many years to come.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
I have a few new sites that I have been putting off, as I'm sure others have as well.
If as you have suggested, I start with one of the 1.5 templates, will I have to redo the whole site to upgrade to 1.6?

If it will be a major chore to upgrade, then I will wait for your 1.6 upgrades. It would be nice to know when this will take place. Anthony said a few weeks almost 3 weeks ago. Can you now be a little more specific. Are we talking days now or still weeks away?

thanks,
Dale
  • dalecraig
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 3 posts
Hi Dale,

We are still a few weeks off really.

I wouldnt recommend starting in 1.5 and then moving to 1.6 as I think that wont be such an easy process.

Which themes are you considering using?

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Powerplay and the new one, Cultivate. No problem, I can wait.
Will any of the extensions be updated sooner?

Thanks,
Dale
  • dalecraig
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 3 posts
It will most likely be a combined roll out of the templates and the extensions to avoid confusion. We will most likely go backwards so Cultivate and powerplay will certainly be in the list.

If you are keen to test them out then perhaps buzz me via the contact form and Ill send you a beta :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi,

I found this as a post in another forum an wondered if Anthony could tell us how accurate/complete this solution would be:

"If you are upgrading your joomla 1.5 template to joomla 1.6 template, there are some important changes you need to watch:

1: In templateDetails.xml, the <params> has been changed to <config> , there are some other changes as well.

2: In index.php file, $mainframe->getCfg('') is changed to $app->getCfg(''); Where $app = JFactory::getApplication();

3: Positions: More module positions available in Joomla 1.6 templates"

Sorry to jump into the middle of this thread but it is a question that I'm being asked at this point.
  • JulesM
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 54 posts
Hi subscribers...

There is a lot more to it than just 1.6 templates... The plugins and modules are also in a state of transition.
I am actually creating a site in 1.6 which is a development site. A 'dev' site can be created in CPanel very easily. I am sure that the Data Base from the 1.5 site will be transferable once all the other 'ducks' are in line.

I hope this little contributions helps...

Tony
  • Tony Shaw
  • 1908 posts
  • 9 Thanks
I think that looks fine for non framework templates Jules but the framework needs a little more tweaking. Its almost ready but I still cant give any dates for the time of release.

@Tony Im not so sure regarding migrating a 1.5 database to 1.6

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Oh no mate, I'm not in any rush. I'm doing a charity job and thought if it were as simple as what I found in the previous comment I could pull if off. In the mean time I'll just stick to what I know, which is plain old 1.5.22 No problem.

Thanks though. You do great work man.
  • JulesM
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 54 posts
Thanks Jules (Blush)

My personal feeling is that I wouldnt use 1.6 for at least a few more months. J1.5 + k2 or Flexi does what most need to these days.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
HI contributors to this discussion:

The following link: matware.com.ar/joomla/jupgrade.html may provide some answers. I haven't read it thoroughly...

I doesn't hurt to look!

Tony
  • Tony Shaw
  • 1908 posts
  • 9 Thanks
Anthony Olsen wrote:
My personal feeling is that I wouldnt use 1.6 for at least a few more months.

My feelings exactly. Too much still left to fix in 1.6 to be using it in a production environment, in my opinion.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers