Support Forum

• Page:

general joomla help

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hello,

You guys have been great, but I do have questions that are not template related, and I feel bad asking you those types of questions. Do you know a good support forum where I could ask simple questions or get minor technical support if I get stuck? I don't mind a paid subscription but I can't afford a developer at this time. Also, I have not found the Joomla support forum to be helpful. Thanks for your input.

Valerie
  • myers916
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 32 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Valerie,

Not sure to be honest for standard Joomla questions - but we do try our best to answer even non template questions within reason

OS training might be worth a look

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes, thank you. I will be sure to get some additional OS training.
  • myers916
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 32 posts
Just realised I didn't include the link

www.ostraining.com/

cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thank you. On that note, I keep running into mod_security problems all over the place. This just happened today. Have you encounter this? I am not even able to login. The people at my hosting company said that I have to fix this. I don't know, that doesn't sound right. I was at godaddy.com for 3 months and I never had this problem with them. It makes me feel like I should switch hosting companies, again. Any recommendations?
  • myers916
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 32 posts
The other solution they gave me was to disable mod_security. Do you think this is a good idea?
  • myers916
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 32 posts
Hi,

The joomla forum is a good place to ask standard joomla questions.

Regarding mod_security. It is best to leave it on, but out of the box it an be quite aggressive so you may need to whitelist the rules which are causing the problems.
It sounds like you are on a virtual or dedicated server and at godaddy you sere in standard hosting? Generally, with any host, if you do not have a managed server it is up to you to make any configuration changes.

The easiest way to test if that is the problem is to disable it using the .htaccess file. There are 2 ways.

SecFilterScanPOST Off

That will disable the scanning of post data and may be enough to get back in to the admin area.

SecFilterEngine Off

That will disable it all together.

If you do decide to turn it off rather than whitelisting rules then you should install a firewall component such as admintools pro or ose anti-hacker. They will do a similar job to mod_security.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Thanks Rob. I will research this issue more. I will definitely sign up for more training. I was planning to take the site live today or tomorrow, but then this happened. So it sort of threw a wrench in my plans. But I guess that it is a good thing that it did happened before I started to promote the site. Thank you for your help again in addressing this.
  • myers916
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 32 posts
PS: I am using RS Firewall component and I can recommend it.
  • Zuzuzu
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1925 posts
  • 107 Thanks
Thanks for that suggestion Zuzuzu. I don't think there is anyway I could configure mod_security.
  • myers916
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 32 posts
Yes would be outside my comfort zone as well

Wish you luck with it

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers