Support Forum

• Page:

Beginner's guide to displaying jFlickr on a page

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I've downloaded jFlickr, and JLibrary, and even have been able to get the photo's to appear on my page, but so far can only get it to show when I point it to the 'hornadv' section of the page.

My question is, how do I get the pictures to show on a page. I was assuming that in the module manager for jFlickr, I would have it point to one of my menu items, but not sure which section (hornadv, footer, etc.) to point it to. The end result that I'm looking for is that I have a menu item called 'Galleries'. When the user clicks this menu item, it should take them to a page of photo galleries.

Do I create an empty article, and then point the jflickr to it, or what?

My site is being built locally so far, so I can't point anyone to page to look at.

Also, Is there any other documentation on Jflickr other than the brief setup instructions you get on the download page?

Thanks in advance.
  • eds
  • Free Extensions
  • 6 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hey there,

You can use the loadposition method to add jFlickr to your article and then link to the article in the menu item.
In jFlickr, you would publish it to all menu items.

This article by Anthony describes it very well.
www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/tutorials/using-the-loadposition-plugin-in-joomla

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Jason,

Thanks for your response and for the tutorial. Loadposition makes a lot of sense, and I can see how this should be a solution. However, when I followed the instructions, all I'm getting is the Title of my jFlickr module, rather than the content itself (the pictures). Ive set up the module to go to all menus, and entered my own position in it's setups, then I make reference to that position in my article, i.e. {loadpostion myposition}. It's pulling the module, but only the title, not the content.

Of course, I also made sure that Content - Load Module was installed, enabled, etc. I even tried the various styles in the Plugin Parameters to no avail.

please see attached images of my setups and the final result. I know that the jFlickr setup is correct because when I point it to my hornadv section of the page, it displays fine.
  • eds
  • Free Extensions
  • 6 posts
Hi Eds,

This is a bit strange really. If you are getting the module title in your article you obviously have the loadposition syntax correct, so you should also be getting the images.

Is there enough room for the images to be displayed where you are using loadposition?

Have you tried doing the same thing with an otherwise completely blank article, on a page with no other modules published in the content area?

Sorry, it is a bit hard to guess at what could be the issue here. Will you be putting the site live soon? It is really hard to identify issues without a link....
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Seth,

Thanks for the reply. I only have two pictures in this gallery, and they show up fine in the hornadv position, so It doesn't seem like space is the issue. The article is already blank, but I think I'll go ahead and create a new blank article and see if it works there. I appreciate you're response, and the fact that it's difficult to troubleshoot blind. The site isn't live yet, but will be within a few weeks. If I don't figure it out by then, I will update this thread again with the url for you to see.

Thanks again. eds
  • eds
  • Free Extensions
  • 6 posts
Hey Eds,

Make sure the syntax for loadposition is correct. No spaces between { and loadposition and similarly at the closing brace.
The title that you see, is it of the JFlickr module or the article?
Do you get any javascript errors on the page? Also try giving the module a unique module id.

Let us know.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Will check the syntax for spaces. etc.
Title that I see is that of the jFlickr module.
Didn't get any javascript errors.
Will try a different module name.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try them tonight and let you know.

EdS.
  • eds
  • Free Extensions
  • 6 posts
No worries Eds :)
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Okay, I think I figured out, partially, why it doesn't work.

I have a module called superfish (mod_superfishmenu) which allows for nested menus. I have this menu appear in addition to my main menu. Main menu along the left, superfish menu along the top. If the superfish menu appears, then I don't get any of the jFlickr photos. If I remove this menu, basically by assigning it to a location that doesn't appear on the page, then the photo's appear.

I first noticed this by switching templates. When I switch templates, the jFlickr appeared. When I changed the new template to include the supervish (mod_superfishmenu), then the jFlickr only displays the title of the module, but not the pictures.

Must be some sort of conflict. Not sure if it's a javascript include conflict or what.
  • eds
  • Free Extensions
  • 6 posts
eds,

You may want to take this new Joomla plugin out for a test drive;

extensions.joomla.org/extensions/core-enhancements/scripts/12280

It is designed to only allow one jQuery script to load thus avoiding conflicts. Have not tested it myself so let us know if it works on your end.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Okay, I finally got jFlickr working by doing the following:

Had to turn off OneJQuery

In addition, my Superfish mod, 'modSuperfishMenu' had a setting to load JQuery set to yes. I set it to No,

Setting the Jquery to No in Superfish, along with disabling OneJQuery fixed the problem.

Thank you to everyone who assisted with this troublshooting. For me, more than anything this was a lesson learned in trying all of the various settings and getting things to work. Far more however, was what a great on-line community we have here.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. :)
  • eds
  • Free Extensions
  • 6 posts
eds,

Glad to hear everything is working well for you now. We'll need to take a closer look at 'OneJQuery' to see if it does what the developer claims before passing along their link to others. Please let us know how else we can assist moving forward.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Duno if its worth a mention, can you put somewhere on the guide that you need to have permissions set on the photoset to everyone to see ... it might seem simple, but i got caught by it. Otherwise no photos will show from the set ... duh.
  • Joel Basham
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 18 posts
Thanks Joel - makes sense. Adding it now.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Could someone please point me to the current location for the tutorial referenced earlier in this thread? Looks like it used to be located here:

www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/tutorials/using-the-loadposition-plugin-in-joomla

But that's a dead link now. I'd love to know more about the loadposition plugin. I can't get the JFlickr module to work at all on my site as it is right now.

Thanks in advance,
Melanie
  • meljohnson
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 4 posts
Hi Melanie,

Sorry about that - I can't find it either.
That error page isn't right either - never rains when it pours :)

docs.joomlabamboo.com/item/744-jflickr-documentation is the page I can find

This is the joomla docs post on the core Joomla plugin loadposition - docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_put_a_module_inside_an_article%3F

Hope this helps

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks, Paul. I'd already found the Joomla Bamboo overview page re: JFlickr, but the other link might give me the info I need. I'll check it out.

Thanks again!

Melanie
  • meljohnson
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 4 posts
Hi Melanie,

We've been through a couple of server upates and a few issues with sh404sefs so I reckon that url disappeared.

I'll mention it to Anthony anyway :)

loadposition is a fantastic plugin - I reckon I've used it on every Joomla site I've ever built :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hey Melanie,

You can view the loadposition tutorial here.

www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/tutorials/using-the-loadposition-plugin-to-load-joomla-content

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
SWEET! This is an awesome, incredibly useful thing to know how to do!

Thanks for taking the time to republish this. SUPER helpful!

Melanie
  • meljohnson
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 4 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers