Support Forum

• Page:

Captify Content disappearing

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I've been having trouble with the content disappearing intermittently. If I hit F5, it will refresh with even fewer images. If I continue to hit F5, I will get a 404 Forbidden error.

I have tried the following:

1) Reducing size of images
2) Enabling cache and setting high
3) Making thumbnail images and using the READ MORE option

Captify Content is set to Articles. When I click on the image, I get the article BELOW the content gallery. How do I get it to go that Article page and now show the content gallery? CC is only set to display on the Home Page.

Any help would be appreciated! I need this live by tomorrow for a conference.
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Can you post a link so we can take a look?
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
www.howsweetthesouth.com
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Hi Lisa,

It seems to be working just fine for me. I did 10 x F5 and a cache clear, everything stayed the same.

Article linking is also working as it should, going to the article with only the article image showing.

Nice art BTW, is that your work?
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Thx for the quick response! :)

Not my work. Wish it was.

Here's what I'm seeing:
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Thx for the quick response! :)

Not my work. Wish it was.

Here's what I'm seeing:
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
If I hit F5, I get this:
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Hi Lisa,

I can't seem to replicate it either - the still experiencing it?

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Here's what I see in FF 3.5.6.
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
H Lisa,

You are sure you can't increase your memory limit? It almost has to be an issue with your server, since it only occurs sometimes it depends on the server load at the time you check. The image resize script can get caught if there isn't enough memory space, and it seems from our previous discussions that it is depending on server load.

You can try to avoid using it by resizing the preview images to the exact size they are now.

Using the article with the readmore option, place the resized image (w:234px h:156px) before the Readmore as you've tried. Then go to captify Content module and disable image resizing. Make sure each of the articles has the Intro Text disabled.

To get the articles to display on their own page, you should try to create a new menu and create a link to each article inside of that menu. It doesn't need to be published or displayed anywhere, but then it should keep the grid from showing on those articles. Its a bit of a workaround, but its a Joomla architecture issue.

Regards,
Jeremy
  • Jeremy
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 407 posts
Ok, I've done the following as suggested:

TO MAKE ARTICLES APPEAR ON SEPARATE PAGE

Added a menu just for the gallery content so that each article will appear on a page without the gallery (didn't work)

TO FIX GALLERY IMAGES DISAPPEARING
Added a thumbnail of each gallery image to the article with Read More after and turned off Intro text. (still disappearing). I've noticed that if I view this on Safari, it works great. If I close Safari and immediately go into FF, I get the problem.

I also notice that I get the problem with a disappearing article background on the article page as follows:

Any more suggestions to try?

Thx!
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Just thought I'd chime in as I experienced an issue similar to yours and I can replicate it on your site currently. Perhaps this explanation will help the guys trying to troubleshoot to reproduce it, as I'm able to. I'm using Firefox by the way.

So, if someone goes to your site and clicks on one of the images, they'll be taken to a separate page showing that image's article. Now, click on Home at the top. Now select another image. See how the article now appears below the Captify Content stuff instead of on its own separate page? I was getting this behavior myself at one point on my site. It just went away once I had created a side panel menu and top menu item for all the areas. Or something to that affect. Hopefully this gives you guys some more info when looking at the site as it does seem to perhaps be a bit of weirdness with the template. As I said, once all the menus were configured on my site it stopped happening.
  • Jason
  • Free Extensions
  • 31 posts
Lisa,

I'm sorry these things don't seem to be solving your problems, I can't seem to get most of these things to happen in Firefox here. Have you cleared your browser cache?

Do you still have the problem with images not loading? I can't seem to find any that aren't loading for me.

Try to change your home link to an external link, and link to the site url. The home link is adding an ID to the url, which is causing the grid to show after clicking home and then another grid item.

Jeremy
  • Jeremy
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 407 posts
I tried changing HOME link to external link as www.howsweetthesouth.com in menu and got a 404 error when I tried to access the site.
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Hi Lisa,

Yes thats correct behaviour - the default Jooml amenu item needs to be an internal link as far as I know.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Sorry I just read Jeremy's post properly.

Sounds like we need to go back to basics and try to see where the error is coming in.

I would do the following:

1. Try a different template like MilkyWay
2. Change the content items or sections/categories that you are displaying there. Try and change the images that arent displaying.
3. See if the prettyBox module works on the site - it basically uses the same script as captifyContent and if it doesnt work then we will have narrowed down the factors.
4. Try changing the JB Library plugin to load locally or to load v1.3.2

Something is obviously happening with the load on your site and I think doing the above will help us to rule out a few factors.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Jeremy,

thanks for the suggestions. Here's what happened:

1) Milky Way template loads ok. Bare screen as follows:

2) Changed content items - No difference. I also tried moving the missing pics up in the order. That makes the missing pics appear and others vanish so it seems to be a memory limit rather than individual imgs.

3) PrettyBox - Still missing some pics. You can see the behavior here:
www.howsweetthesouth.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98

4) Changed JB to local. No difference.

Pls let me know what else I might try.

Have a great Christmas! Thx!!

Lisa
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Here's the Milky Way pic.

Also, where is that How Sweet the South text at the bottom of Captify gallery coming from? It wasn't there before and I don't know what I did! :P
  • Lisa Flatico
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Hi Lisa,

My guess is that the scripts are timing out because of permissions on the script files.

eg www.howsweetthesouth.com/modules/mod_prettyBox/image.php?width=225&height=165&cropratio=2:1&image=/images/stories/gallery/StJuliaBarn#7.jpg

That wont load because of a permission issue on the image.php file.

If you like you can submit a ticket with ftp details to us and we will take a look.

If you use the net feature in firebug you can see the images that are missing or not getting loaded.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hey Lisa,

Just saw your ticket and I've not been able to replicate your problem. The premissions on your scripts are fine and all seems to be working well. The one other occassion on which I have encountered a similar issue turned out to be a bandwidth restriction issue on the host. If you use firebug, then use the NET feature to investigate the images the next time you have the same trouble. The response tab for the missing images should give you a clue to what the error is.

As for the captify content appearing above the article, you will need to create a separate menu and add menu items to it for each article you use in captify. You need not use this dummy menu but make sure the menu items are published. This will ensure that each article has an item id in the database. Joomla can then render a consistent link and view for each article instead of constructing a relative link as it does right now.

Let us know when you need further assistance with this.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers