Support Forum

• Page:

Joomla 3.0 and bootstrap

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi there

I just rod the Antony's article on Joomla 3.0 and bootstrap.
I'm just a little lost because I have to migrate two Joomla 1.5 wabsites, running also Virtuermart and I realy don't know if it would be better to wait for Joomla 3.0 or to migrate now on Joomla 2.5.
I'm much more frontend coder and integrator, then the first thing I'm warry about it's templates.
I'm afraid that if I migrate now on Joomla 2.5, the template I will choose will not take the advantage of Joomla 3.0 responsive structure.
But also, I'm afraid to wait for Joomla 3.0 because of the effects that bootsrap could produce on templates.
Any advises ?

Thanks

Sincerely.
  • Brunus
  • 12 Month basic
  • 99 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Well, Joomla 3 is not an LTS release and I doubt very much that VM will ever run on it. If you were building from scratch it would be different but as you are upgrading it would be best to go 1.5 > 2.5 > 3.5
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brunus
Yep you absolutly right, I did forget that x.0 releases was not LTS ones...
Thanks for the reminder, I will follow your advise.
  • Brunus
  • 12 Month basic
  • 99 posts
  • 1 Thanks
My pleasure.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
There are many better solutions than Virtumart. VM used to be good - used to, back during 1.5. VM 2.0 has been a very buggy and often slow upgrade. I'd check out Aceshop, or ECWID (and the Joomla SEF extension for ECWID).

Also, could someone kind of explain to me what "Bootstrap" means? At least in the context of Joomla 3.0 and how it's different than 2.5.
  • imaginemonkey
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 13 posts
Last Edit: 11 years 7 months ago by imaginemonkey.
I agree that VM is not the ultimate solution for e-business online shop but for small business it's one of the best solution. It's also the online shop offering the biggist number of features as external extensions.
Extensions are note the best thing to manage but almost it's there.

If I had time and a bigger business I would ire a developpement team to build my e-shops from scratch using a python framework !
VM is deffinitively dedicated to small business, and so Aceshop I think.

And also why using Aceshop and not directly OpenCart ?
That's it's for me the best argument to throw VM to the trash ;)
Then thanks for your suggestion, I will check OpenCart.

But I will still use Joomla! for other projects like websites without e-business features.

Bootstrap it's a developpemnt framework, it's aims to help developper to build UI faster. But it means also some kind of uniformty for website using it, it's almost what I understoud reading articles on it.
For Joomla 3.0 it means that extensions developpers will need less time to build backends UI and more time to focus on the core of the extension itself. Then a good thing.
And also I think that uniformity in backend fore extension it's a good thing for users.
  • Brunus
  • 12 Month basic
  • 99 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Brunus. Reason: wrote mistakes
Thanks guys :)

This article might help explain Bootstrap in J3.0 a bit better: magazine.joomla.org/issues/Issue-Sept-2012/item/857-Joomla-3-0-JUX-Doing-It
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers