Support Forum

• Page:

Grid template: Florist

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

With zero knowledge in coding, lots of reading and some help from forum members, finally got my site up and running :)

www.deflowershop.com.my
  • juwene
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Congrats, looks awesome!

Just a minor thing: I do get a an ugly greyish windows scrollbar with "about us" and "delivery area", probably my screen is a little bit to short...

Nice flowers too...
  • BernhardL
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 4 posts
I see the same. It isn't your screen Bernhard! The height of the slider area is set in the template parameters and is adjustable.

The issue is caused by the styling applied to <p> elements in the css, specifically line-height.

There are a few ways to solve this, though I would suggest one of the following (2 would be my personal preferance):

1) Increase the height of the slider area in the template parameters.

2) Remove the <p> tags from the slider module content (so line-height is not applied).

If you are using JCE as your editor, just edit the module contents by pressing 'show/hide' and removing the <p> and </p> tags in the content. Then save.

Where you want to separate para's (as in 'About us') you can just use <br> instead. Like this:

.... to hear from you.<br><br>You can also f...
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
thanks for the advice :)

I shall try to fix that... didn't know how to get rid of the scroll bar at the slider. Thanks for the advice.
  • juwene
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Nice work Ali,

I noticed a js error on your page,

The code
jQuery("#nav ul")http://www.deflowershop.com.my/administrator/index.php?option=com_templates&client=0&task=edit_source&id=JB_Grid#
.superfish({
animation : {height:"show"},
delay : 1000
});

needs to be
jQuery("#nav ul").superfish({
animation : {height:"show"},
delay : 1000
});

You seem to have pasted the url there by mistake.
This is in the template index.php file

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Hello..

I'm using TinyMCE editor.. and i tried to remove <p> but it doesn't seem to work.
  • juwene
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
juwene,
Thanks for posting. Your site looks good -- and flowers are a perfect use of Grid!

My comments:
1. The site seems to run slowly for me (takes longer than usual to open the gallery photos on the home page).
2. The "Contact Information" menu item is on two lines, which may be confusing to some visitors. Maybe just use the word "Contact" tto shorten it?
3. The "Search" function is broken up. The white search box is on the top right, but the word "search" is off to the left, separated from the box.

These are probably small things you can fix.

Good work,
Matt
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by matthewschenker.
matthewschenker wrote:
juwene,
1. The site seems to run slowly for me (takes longer than usual to open the gallery photos on the home page).

A little hint from me:
Page Speed says:
The following images are resized in HTML or CSS. Serving scaled images could save 356.4KiB (96% reduction).

* www.deflowershop.com.my/images/stories/gallery/close%20up%202.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 1024x768 to 186x139. Serving a scaled image could save 356.4KiB (96% reduction).
and
This page makes 30 parallelizable requests to www.deflowershop.com.my. Increase download parallelization by distributing these requests across multiple hostnames:
Which actually says: set up a second domain like "images.deflowershop.com.my", bind it at the very same root like your www and call the images inside the html with this explicity given domain.

Bernhard
  • BernhardL
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 4 posts
BernhardL,
Thanks for posting about Page Speed.

Wow, I learn something new every day around here...

I've been using Firebug for a while now, but never knew about Page Speed. But I started using it to analyze my own site. I get a score of 80/100. By the way, the Joomlabamboo home page also gets a score of 80/100, so I must be doing all right!

Other prominent sites I analyzed, for comparison purposes:
Scientific American = 71/100
The New York Times = 72/100
Slate = 77/100
Huffingtonpost = 83/100
Joomla.org = 85/100
Facebook = 87/100
Twitter = 93/100

This is very interesting. What is considered a "good" score using Page Speed?

Thanks,
Matt
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 1 week ago by matthewschenker.
Hi BernhardL...

Thank you for the tips.. let me summarize just to make sure I get the point right:-

1. it is better to resize my frontpage photo to 186x139 to reduce loading time?

2. and I should set up another url and name it images.deflowershop.com.my to put all my homepage pictures there? this is also another way to cut down loading time? Do i still need to scale down the pictures? where i place this folder on ftp?

thank you once again :)
  • juwene
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
juwene wrote:
1. it is better to resize my frontpage photo to 186x139 to reduce loading time?
At least, this is the recommendation for the frontpage. If you want to show this picture large-scale (by - lets say - clicking on it and have popup with it, or having it at a second page) you should have both copies (small one and large one) and use the small one at your homepage.
2. and I should set up another url and name it images.deflowershop.com.my to put all my homepage pictures there? this is also another way to cut down loading time?
Page-Speed most often recommends caching as well, setting expiration-date and (for background pics) using sprites. Consult wikipedia or Yahoo's YSlow or Page-Speed for in deep explanation.
Do i still need to scale down the pictures?
The 9 pics at the board are just fine, I didn't look at others.
where i place this folder on ftp?
No, neither you need to change the files nor copy them to a different location. Just set up the additional domain "images.[URL]", bind it at the same root-dir like you did with the "www.[URL]" and start to call the pics in yout html-code by the leading new domain. The effect is realised this way: Normally the browser opens a maximum of - lets say - 15 connections to the server parallel. If you have 1 file for html, 6 files for css, 10 pics and 4 javasript-files, some pics likely are to wait in a queue until they are served. And the page gives the impression to be slow. If you use a second domain for the pics, you are going to open a second set of connections and no file has to wait.

Nice, isn't it?

Greez
Bernhard
  • BernhardL
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 4 posts
Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for the tips.... I shall need some time to digest that.. hehehehe.

:P
  • juwene
  • Previous Member
  • 13 posts
Thanks Bernhard :)
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers