Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Buildr menu dropdown widths

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi.
I am using the Buildr template and would like to make the menu dropdowns different widths.

I understand that I can set the min. width of the menu in template settings, but this seems to fix the width rather than set a min.? Should the width expand for wider titles?

Is there a way to set a width for each dropwown OR for the dropdown to adjust to the width of the menu title text.

I have one dropdown with wide titles and another with narrow titles. I don't want all the extra space as a fixed width on all by accommodating the widest text.

I also checked the quickstart template and they also seem to have one fixed width unless a module is loaded.

Any ideas?
  • johnwainwright
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 59 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

You would need to customise it via custom.css as the template will have the same dropdown widths

If you add a link here I can take a look

Thanks
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks for the reply Paul.

This is the site link:
www.wainwrightlandscapearchitecture.co.uk/home/

What I want to do is use the zen menu to add 2 columns to some of the dropdowns, but not others. The problem I have at the moment is that if I increase the menu width for 2 columns...it is too wide for the single column dropdowns I want to retain.

I understand the process of adding 2 columns, and done it on the test site. But I can not control the individual dropdown width?

So on the top main menu.... ideally the plan is to have "our services" and "our work" as 2 column dropdown and "about us" and a single column dropdown with added items.

How can I control the dropdown width of each menu main title?

This control also solves another problem for me. Because I have the menu set to the right side, I need to keep single column width to the right item otherwise the dropdown goes off the page.

Sorry the long explanation.

John
  • johnwainwright
  • 59 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi John,

Do you want it to look like the demo site regarding the menus?

bambootheme.com/showcase/apr16/
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi John,

Drop downs on the last item are a bit problematic

We are planning a new release this week - I'll check to see if it's included

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul. See attached image as an example. This is "our services" as a 2 column dropdown at 450px min width. There are more items and eventually I want to add sub-menu items to the 2 column drop down.

But this is far too wide for the "about" dropdown on the RH side...I want this as a single column dropdown of say 250px.

It seems very limiting to have one width setting when dealing with the multi-columns as not every menu item is likely to need the same.

I don't understand how the zen menu is written, but if a setting could be added in the zen Menu settings to control drop width? rather than just one global setting?

Or is there custom CSS I can use?

Regards John
Attachments:
  • johnwainwright
  • 59 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by johnwainwright.
Hi John,

You can't add dropdowns if the mega menu functionality is used to add columns

You can reduce the width of the menu drop downs and it not affect mega menu column width

The mega menu works at full width of the menu position

You can turn off full width in the zen menu tab but then it will default to the menu dropdown width setting

Does this help?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul.

Please help I'm a bit confused.

The example I last sent an image of was 2 columns with a dropdown, using zen menu settings. I can also see the setting that adds full width.

I don't understand when you say 'mega menu'. I have read all explanations I can find with reference to mega menu but assumed this was the function of 'zen menu'. if not, where are the settings for mega menu? I see no template settings that say 'mega menu'. The zen menu plugin is installed?

I also checked through all the settings of the template quickstart.
Regards John
  • johnwainwright
  • 59 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi Paul, I looked again. the full width setting and grouping is another option.

All I can see in template settings is one min. width setting for the dropdowns. This seems to fix the width whether single or 2 column dropdowns.

I think for the moment I might be best to stick to single dropdowns. But if there is a way to vary the width of each one it would be useful to know.

Thanks John

updated
  • johnwainwright
  • 59 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by johnwainwright.
With the zen menu as you describe you can disable the full width option (this is on the parent drop down where columns are assigned)

This then reverts the drop down to the drop down width set in the template settings

If you need drop downs as a child then you would need to stick with single dropdowns

There isn't a setting to control individual widths
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
You could customise widths via custom.css styling using item class of the menu link

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers