Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

pre tag text formatting

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Paul, Hope you can help with this one. Viewing the pre formatted pages for all the result pages is very awkward. The old html pages, non Joomla, worked fine and just reduced in size to fit. It's not helped by the sticky nav but although I've disabled that for mobile devices in the template settings it still seems to be on. Any ideas?
www.orewabridgeclub.net
Jan
  • Janice Jones
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 124 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Janice Jones. Reason: more succinct description
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Jan,

www.orewabridgeclub.net/index.php/results/monday

Bit tired today so apologies but I'm not sure what you what help with
Are you looking to style content?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Sorry Paul - I'll try again...
1. The sticky menu still seems to be operational even though I've disabled it in settings for mobiles. That's taking up a lot of the real estate.
2. text in pre tags doesn't render in a readable way on mobiles. I've changed some of the pre tag template styles to stop the grey background color and remove the maximum height values but it's still not viewable.

If you look at the old html site (that is about to be taken down) on a mobile device such as an iphone on a results page say
www.contractbridge.net/orewa/results/wednesday.html

pre text renders ok

in the build.r template on the new site

orewabridgeclub.net/index.php/results/wednesday

As I say I've improved it removing the background and max height removal but I'm missing something that is in the template pre tag formatting.

Hope that helps.

Jan
  • Janice Jones
  • 124 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Hi Jan,

I don't think I've seen anybody use pre like this before

Is this the only way you can add data? I would suggest tables but you my again run into problems if you want to view tabular data on a mobile.

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul. No unfortunately the data is copied and pasted from a bridge scoring programme. It's commonly output that way in bridge scoring sites. It's the formatting of the pre tag for mobile devices in the template that's causing the problem. Is there any way of clearing the formatting that's been applied to that tag completely?
Jan
  • Janice Jones
  • 124 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Hi Jan,

I see both sites as the same when the screen size is reduced e.g. the content overflow is invisible

Do you have another example of the pre code being used?
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul - no the old html page worked fine. All the text was reduced and visible OK
www.contractbridge.net/orewa/results/wednesday.html

I've disabled the sticky nav completely which helps a bit. I've now also removed all padding from the pre tag as well as max height and background which permits navigation across the page at least.
If I disable all responsive functionality from the template via the settings the results look great but of course I lose the responsive menus etc. The only other workaround I can think of is a different template for the results pages. Is there a way to remove the responsive behaviour for the pre tags? If not I'll have to live with it.
I appreciate this is unusual. The old site pages were generated from inside the scoring programme but worked in the same way...outputting a virtual include of text inserted into a pre tag. This is an interim solution where they are just pasting the results into a joomla article as the old sites are being taken down.
Thanks again.
Jan
  • Janice Jones
  • 124 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Hi Jan,

I'll check with anthony on this to see if he has any suggestions

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Jan,

We've looked at this and we can't see it working any different than on the original site

for it to stand a chance of resizing you would need some html formatting to display

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul
I appreciate that data output to html would be the best way; Unfortunately, that's not a possibility. I'll go for the basic html page option.
Thanks for your efforts.
Jan
  • Janice Jones
  • 124 posts
  • 5 Thanks
Sorry we can't do more with this one

good luck with it and have a great weekend

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers