Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

optimal size for the background picture

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi there,

I have a question concerning the optimal size for the picture in the background set in the template. The question is: what is the optimal size to cut it to in order to get the best alignment.

Until now we set it to 2200px following the demo example, but could max 1688px also deliver the same result (or a better one)?

Thanks a lot
  • MaMuster
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 329 posts
  • 10 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
It's a tricky one as it can depend a lot on the subject in the photo - more abstract backgrounds work better and can be smaller sizes

I would make sure you have compressed it as much as you can

It can be a case of trial and error and what is judged as acceptable

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I edit the images in photoshop and then use kraken.io/web-interface

Although there are different workflows as below in the article comments

www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/how-to-joomla/how-to-optimise-images-with-kraken
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks.
Since I got to know kraken.io over your blog post I use it for some time alredy.

I know it is a bit try and error, but is there a size guideline or ratio from experience that works well with the stretch?

Background is that the client plans to buy all the pictures and saves money on each pic if they are below around 1600 to 1700px width.

So if the smaller size works with the right ratio as does the larger one ...

cheers
  • MaMuster
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 329 posts
  • 10 Thanks
With stock photographs I've found they can be enlarged 100% without substantial quality issues so that does give more flexibility

If enlarging use fixed increments e.g. 25%, 50%, 100%

If an image has lots of straight lines the size needed can be bigger as the straight line elements can look jagged

We don't have a golden rule or ratio I'm afraid it is largely trial and error but all using high-quality free stock imagery

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers