Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Any ideas on how to use ZenTools2 to display "Ads"

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I tried playing again with the Joomla Banners for creating "Ads" and serving them but it is not very fast and it is not responsive.

So, of course my mind gravitated to ZenTools.

I am trying to figure out how to achieve the following with ZenTools2

Create Slideshows or grids, etc.. to display images within a folder

ie.
01-Image01-drcarney
02-Image02-allmedphysician
03-Image03-veggievore

etc...

Then I also need to also provide a list of urls that they are supposed to go to.

www.drcarney.com
www.allmedphysicians.com
www.veggievore.com

etc...

I only want to display one image each time the page is refreshed.
I want each image to ALWAY go to it's corresponding url.

Can this be done in ZenTools2?

Also, if I had a page with six of these one image grids on it would that become too slow because of the instances of ZenTools?

Thanks for any input. I will keep playing with this myself until I hear from you. But, the main challenge I have is to ensure each image always goes to the correct associated url.

Thanks, Sean
  • scarney
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Sean,

The main issue is the ability to randomise the image that loads while keeping the link

I'll need to check in the morning but I don't think there is a way to randomise the image loading while still maintaining the correct link

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I'm referring to image folder as the source - I think as articles this would work

I will check in the morning
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes, that is what I figured. I just could not find a way to have the image and the url somehow connected. The Joomla Banners can do this although it doesn't really adjust for responsive templates. This is where ZenTools2 shines.
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Paul,
I noticed today that one of the content sources you accept is actually Joomla banners. I did some experiments and I can basically bypass the banners tool and use ZenTools2 and it does keep track of which URL goes with which image.

So, this is good.

I still am trying to figure out how to set the image to be smaller for the mobile devices than for the desktops.

Thanks, Sean
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Are the images not resizing?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Think you may be the first person to post about using banners in zentools2 :)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The images are not resizing when using Joomla Banners. But, I realized maybe I need to use larger images and see how that works.

If I use ZenTools2 for the banners then the images become responsive right away. The downside is that the Joomla Banner client tracking system is bypassed. ie. the links go directly to the pages they need to without going through the banner component urls that track the clicks.

So, I am going to try to experiment later today with creating larger images than the space affords on a desktop so that maybe they will look nice on mobile devices. I will let you know what I find.

I did see that there are some people on the JED who have tried to solve this lack and have responsive ads. I don't need anything fancy and may try one of them. Although I hesitate to add any more javascript providers to my site than I already have.
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
As they are your sites and ads so to speak

Have you tried using joomla articles with just images and used the article alternate links both in the page and the zentools2 module?

But as you say no tracking but might work with randomising
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I thought about that but I really do want the tracking because this is exploratory before allowing some other select people to also advertise. And, I am trying to not use software from too many people.

I think I will purchase and play with the Responsive Banner Slider to see if it can help make the images display responsively. They are also all about animate ads which I am not needing too much of though. So, not sure it is my solution.

www.templateplazza.com/items/responsive-banner-slider-joomla-module
  • scarney
  • 896 posts
  • 11 Thanks
Yes I thought that might be the case

Can you keep us posted on how you get on with your solution?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers