Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

decent 404 page

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

How do I get a decent 404 page at cleanpekorashared.digitalelernumgebung.de/inde.html ? There is an error.php in the template folder but I get the default server page.
  • ubunti
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 371 posts
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by ubunti.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi,

You will need to rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess so that all requests get routed through Joomla's index.php file.

docs.joomlabamboo.com/getting-started/how-do-i-create-a-htaccess-file

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
htaccess is not allowed on my host. I need a different solution. And no, I cannot change the host since that host is required by the client.
  • ubunti
  • 371 posts
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by ubunti.
I guess this is more a Joomla/server question than a template thing and without the htaccess probably not solvable.
  • ubunti
  • 371 posts
Yes no way I know how to do that without htaccess. Your host may have some ideas.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
You could use an extension like sh404sef, it will route all 404 to a custom 404 page using the template styling, you can then further customise it.

This extension can be complex to set up and manage but is powerful and useful. It may be overkill just for 404 pages,and simpler extension may exist, but should provide a solution.

Ian
  • iafdesign
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
Thanks, but even sh404sef needs htaccess to work properly afaik.
  • ubunti
  • 371 posts
Yep, you may be correct, sorry I cannot test this out for you, however the 404 page part may still work. You could ping a message to Yannis at Weeblr and ask if this could be a solution for you.

From the documentation for sh404:
"You will need to setup an Apache .htaccess file or configure nginx for URL rewriting if you whish to have the simplest possible URLs on your site. However that is not a requirement for sh404SEF. It will operate nearly the same with or without URL rewriting in place......"

this sort of implies that the 404 page part may work (?), as I say could check with Yannis.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
Thanks Ian

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi,

I'm sorry but there is no other solution.

Joomla can only serve a 404 page if the request is to Joomla and it does not have the content that is requested.

If the request does not go through Joomla then the request will be handled by you server.

You will need to create your own 404 error page and then configure your server to use it.

This is generally done through htaccess on shared hosts but can also sometimes be done through control panel.

You will need to talk to you host.

Regards,

Rob
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks
Some hosts also keep the error docs in a folder in the root of the domain that you may be able to modify.
  • Robert Went
  • 2210 posts
  • 196 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers