Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Homepage adjustments

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Thanks for the update on hacking issue

Passwords are one of those issues technology hasn't really managed to find a secure but user friendly solution to

I suspect I'm guilty of reusing passwords as much as everybody else
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Regarding the new site issue can you add that to a new thread

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
"As to my desire to control link colors on my homepage: I do have a second template just for the homepage but any time I change the colors on that one the best of the pages change too. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to just go with the itemid code?"

What are you wanting to change? is it a lot?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Back again, sorry for the delay.

What I'd like to change on the homepage isn't a lot, but I've found that the changes I make to the duplicate template for the homepage seem to propagate throughout the site. This is probably why we had to go with the itemid thing before.

Anyway, what I'd most like to have control over is the font size for headers and content, and link colors. There are other small things I'd like to do but those are the major ones. I looked for ways to change these things in the homepage template controls, but as I said they always change on the inside pages as well. There are a few other things I can try, but I'm guessing I'll need to go back to the itemid custom css to make things happen.

Also - I'm still having trouble with Safari bringing up full images behind the homepage modules (works sometimes, sometimes not). It works fine with Chrome and Firefox. Any chance someone could look into that?

One last thing - I just discovered while creating a zentools photo gallery for a new article that the new Joomla wouldn't let me upload files with spaces in them. This is how I used to have to do it in order to get the captions on the pictures to show up in the gallery. This time I just had to upload them with numbers and no captions. Any ideas on how I add captions?

(I'll start a separate thread for the music site question. Sorry about that.)

Thanks, Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Hi

I'll check on the updates we have pending on this template

Regarding file names - do you have the latest version of zentools?

You can select a separator character with the latest version together with a prefix

Spaces don't work well on web sites so its best to use a character

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Paul,

I have the latest version of zentools. I've tried the separator character before and it didn't work, but I don't know what you mean by "together with a prefix" so I probably didn't do it right. I've looked around in the module and can't find anything about a prefix.

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Hi Bob,

Regarding the space - you've changed the character to say for example _

This is a good choice

You would add that here to

Render the following characters as spaces (found in the content tab)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Also in the content tab of the module settings do you see?

"Use prefix for images"

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hey Paul, thanks for the help. I seem to have gotten the captions thing working.

So, back to the homepage. Do you know of any way I can isolate the functions of one focus2 template (homepage) from a duplicate focus2 template (inside pages)?

I've managed, through use of menu suffix class css, to gain some control over the font sizes on the modules I'm using lower down on the homepage. But I still can't seem to change the size of the headers on the main popup module. And I'd also still like to be able to change the link colors on the homepage independently of the link colors on the inside pages.

Thanks again,

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Hi Bob,

What functions are you looking to duplicate?

I'm a bit unclear what the main popup is

If its just one page it may be worth using the menu classes

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I took another person's suggestion and created a duplicate focus2 template to use for my homepage. That allowed me to set up the other pages on my site to operate without the slideshow. It was a great solution, and I've found that there are certain changes I can make to the homepage template that don't affect the other pages. But the changes I make to link colors still propagate through all the pages.

So, I've already duplicated what I need to. I just want to be able, if possible, to control certain parameters of the two templates independently.

The main page popup is just the zentools module (I don't think I named it) I use to display the featured articles on my homepage. I tried the menu class thing for that module, but all I could affect was the size of the ReadMore font. Any suggestions for how to use the menu class to change the link colors in the module?

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
For the menu on the home page try adding

.itemid-435 #menu ul > li a, .itemid-435 #menu ul > li .zen-menu-heading { color:red; }
.itemid-435 #menu ul > li.active > a, .itemid-435 #menu ul > li.active > .zen-menu-heading {color: green;}

replacing with your colours

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul. I'll give it a try.

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Getting closer. That gives me control over the menu items in the nav bar (and I'll need that when I change the link colors on the inside pages).

But I still need to be able to change the link colors in the featured articles on the main page (a zentools module).

Maybe I can adapt some of the code you've used.

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Do you need to change links just for that specific module? or links in general? or just for that page?
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Just for that module. And I did actually manage to figure out how to adjust the link colors for that homepage zentools module with the menu class thing and a little messing around in the custom.css.

But I'm still trying to figure out how to change the header sizes (the linked featured article titles) in the same module using the same technique. I know I can change the header size in the zentools module controls, but all the other header options are too small or don't work right. I'd just like to make the titles font in that module a little bit smaller while retaining everything else about the way it works.

Thanks for any help on this.

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
Hi Bob,

I'd suggest not using the h1 tag and instead use a different heading tag as a rule of thumb there should only be one h1 tag per page

I'll look at the style now
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I think I'm looking at the right module - the home page right?

#zentools107 h1 {font-size:24px;}

So once you change the h1 tag replace it with the tag you use

the default font size for h1 is 39px so this is 15px smaller

So I'd change the font size setting in the module first and then add the css change

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul. Actually I just managed to figure it out a few minutes after my last reply.

Bob
  • RobertCamp
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 155 posts
:)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers