Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Trying to restrict access to registered users

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Friends,
Slowly getting managed with wonky links, and such. Now I have an entire section of my site that I want to be only accessed by registered users, so that in order to see the menu they need to log in.

This worked fine before I moved from Base3 and ugraded to joomla 3.5. Now, no matter how I set the access in the menu, module, or whatever, the menu is accessible to public no matter what

www.specialed.org

at the bottom in the footer is a link to the exec page, where there should be a login and once logged in, the menu appears.

Any suggestions? I have gone through with a fine toothed comb and changed access to registered wherever I can.

Thanks.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

The template doesn't have an impact of user management

What user access level do you have set for the menu link pointing to exec and for the menu itself

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Registered
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
So Rasa2 doesn't allow me to restrict access to content, and allow only registered users?

2 weeks of work getting the template switched over... sigh...

Meanwhile, my calendar extension, dpcalendar, doesn't work in modules that aren't 100% width, and they say it's because of javascript in the library of the template. It worked fine in Base3. Would I have better luck with Responsive? I'll install and test.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Any template even a joomla default template has no effect on the acl (access control list) or user management of a site

It is controlled by the core Joomla component - it will be a configuration issue on the site and the template has no effect on that.

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I'm going to split the second question to a new thread
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
hmm actually don't think I can do that as you won't get reply alerts

Can you create a new thread for the calendar issue and we can run through that - please point to an example with a url

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Ok, I solved the access issue by switching the menu module access from registered to special. That seemed to do it.

I gave up on the calendar issue and decided to leave it for another day. Found a couple workarounds. It works if it's 100% width, it just doesn't like being schmooshed into any module that's narrower.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Thanks for update

Get back to us when you ready regarding the calendar

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi

At Joomla Day UK there was a good session on acl from Sander Potjer, the developer of acl manager, here is a link to the video.

youtube.com/watch?v=hsNYNwgGxDI

It gives a good overview of Joomla acl and plenty of tips.

I hope it may be useful to some.

I would usually make new groups and level for most sites where access control is important, i find it easier to manage and get the required results rather than adapting standard joomla ones, as these still carry over legacy from j2.5 in terms of editor access.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
Last Edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by iafdesign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh
Thanks Ian

I will watch that myself this week

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers