Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Something not working with creating Authorized-only content menus and log in

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Friends,
On other projects I have been able to create an authorized user only section, where I can put non public stuff like organizational management, document archives for board members, and especially a little tutorial section for my clients with information about making minor adjustments from back end or front end etc. The process I have used, that has worked well is:
1. Create a category called Authorized
2. Create a number of articles that will be accessed only after logging in (log in is not permitted to public, only registered already by me)
3. Create a menu that only appears once the user has logged in linked to the "home" article for authorized users and other articles for the section.
4. Create a log in module (sidebar2) published to the article that serves as "home" to the authorized portal and other authorized pages in the category.
5. Create a menu module for the Authorized menu I created, published in sidebar2 position on the Authorized content.

But with this Rasa2 installation at www.blindspotexpeditions.com it is wonky. I created a link in the footer/copyright to the article for authorized users where the log in module should appear on the article that notifies you that content is restricted. Once logged in, the menu should appear to access the rest of the restricted content. This worked really well with another site using Base3.

But all I get is the modules assigned to the page from which I clicked on the link in the copyright section (all pages). No log in module, no authorized menu.

Is this perhaps a Rasa2 thing? Or is it a Joomla thing? I've tried deleting everything and re-creating it a couple times, and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Hoping you can point me right here! Thanks!
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Have you switching to a Joomla default template to test?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Ok, just switched my authorized pages to the Beez template and it worked. But still won't work in Rasa2
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hang on, switched everything back to Rasa2 and it worked. Don't know why exactly.
B)
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Spoke too soon, as soon as I tried to access from any of the main menu pages, I have the same problem, no log in module and all the modules that are supposed to only publish on the pages from which I accessed.

Also trying to make a menu module for the authorized pages, and selected superuser as the only access users in the menu module, but it is published to public instead.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Know that feeling :)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
right sorry posted that cross each other in the ether

I'll seek advice on this

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Would appreciate input. Also, I thought Joomla 3.4.2 would enable me to edit module content (html custom) from the front end, but the content window does now show, only the other module settings. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Still having the problem of wrong modules loading on pages that are supposed to be authorized only, and none of the right modules loading.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Still not able to get the modules straightened out -- content I have designated as accessible to registered only, or even superusers, shows up as public content, specifically the restricted/authorized menu module published in sidebar2, only accessible to registered.

I updated the template and can now access module content from the front end, thankfully.

But the module problem persists. I want an authorized only page/log in where once you log in the authorized menu (sidebar2) appears. Only the menus from the pages from which I click the link to the log in (I created a log in menu item in my hidden menu)

I got this to work on another site using Base3, it works fine!
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
I'll need to ask Anthony on this one as I'm not sure on the answer

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Interesting, I just tried a test on another Rasa2 site and it worked. I published a menu module for a new menu called Authorized only and gave it permissions excluding public, and assigned it to the log in link from a log in menu (in hidden menu) link. Clicking on the Authorized link to the log in just showed the log in details, and when I logged in, the authorized menu came up, as hoped. And the modules from the previous page from the link did not appear.

Is there a ghost of some sort in this one installation where I am having the problem?
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Still at it troubleshooting. I went through the problem site and trashed all the authorized work, menu, menu module, article, log in menu link, etc and started over.

Step 1 - created an article called Authorized Content and set it to be available only to registered.

Step 2 - created a new menu called Authorized and added an item to it that linked to the above article. Access = registered

Step 3 - created a new menu item in Hidden menu and made it a log in under user management selection - available to public

Step 4 - created a link to the step 3 menu login in the copyright module "log in" - .

Step 5 - created a menu module, Authorized, access = registered, assigned sidebar2 position, assigned only on log in menu link.

Test, clicked on log in in the copyright module, it took me to a log in that did not contain the modules of the page from which I clicked (progress). But the Authorized menu module, that should have been available only after logging in was published and the authorized content available to public, even though I made each and every one of the steps, (except the log-in) accessible only to restricted.

Don't know if I'm must clouding the issue here, but it is interesting that I got the system to work on another Rasa2 site using the same steps.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
So can you confirm that you are not seeing the issue on the default template? Seems like a broader J issue to me.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Sounds like a Joomla installation issue. As there was also a bug in J.3.4.2 I would suggest upgrading to J.3.4.3 as a starting point and maybe re-installing Joomla core to see if that corrects the issue.

Make sure you have a sound and tested backup in place before making major updates to your site.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
Thank you, I already upgraded to 3.4.3. What would I need to do to re-install joomla? I can't imagine starting from scratch!

Any further suggestions?
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Best to just check if it happens with the default theme first. That way we can rule it out properly.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Sadly, when I try with with default template it has same problem, loading the modules from the page from which I clicked the link and not respecting the access only to registered.
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi Friends,
Ok, same problem, different Rasa2 site! I really really need to create a section of the site that is restricted to registered users, organizing a conference and I need to have a place for conference organizers to access internal information.

I create an article to house the log in and restricted menu.

I create an additional hidden menu, linked to the article.
I create a log in module to be published in sidebar2

I create a link to the above article in the footer.

The article/page publishes only the modules from the page from which the link in the footer was clicked. And not the log in module. :evil:

This is a big problem, and it is not just with the one Rasa2 site. I finally gave up trying to create the hidden content section for the one site, but I HAVE to have it for the other.

current problem site: www.ecobuildnetwork.org
  • swellking
  • 12 Month basic
  • 420 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Assuming, like the previous issue, the problem still exists with the standard Joomla template then it is not Rasa2 or template related.

If you are sure the Joomla install is sound and not corrupted then it sounds like the problem lies with user account permissions. Whilst you can sort these within a standard Joomla setup, you may like to look at an extension to help with this. www.aclmanager.net/

We install this on all our sites as it shows clearly the access levels for any given user group. If the problem is user access levels then this may help you see a way through it. On complex sites where you have lots of users accessing different parts it is really useful.

I hope that helps a bit.

Regards Ian
  • iafdesign
  • 393 posts
  • 153 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh
Thanks Ian :)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers