Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Updating template on live site

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi Guys,

I am wondering what is the correct way to ensure that my template is updated to the latest along with supporting plugins etc.
I have posted under Xero as this is the only template I use as a rule as it has the bare basics and I can just build from there.
I have an installation on a older site at the moment and can not work out if everthing is updated to the latest releases of each part.
Hopefully this is clear....
  • zoldar
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

Then the next step is to check the version number you have installed

If you unfamiliar with how to do this check out this article

www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/how-to-joomla/how-to-find-a-version-number-of-an-extension-plugin-or-template
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Then you would compare against either the download version number or the changelog

docs.joomlabamboo.com/joomla-templates/xero-changelog
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
All the change logs are here

docs.joomlabamboo.com/changelogs/
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
If you need to update the next step would always be a backup - we all use akeeba backup pro for that but there is akeeba backup core which is free

I'd check the backup works ideally before updating

Once you have a backup - download the standalone template version

Install via the Joomla installer

You may need to go into the template and compile before some changes are applied

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks for the answers Paul,

As usual, I perhaps voiced my question not quite correctly. The assumption was that I already know that I need to update the template, but just wanted to know if I was to download the new standalone version that all other things like the framework would also be updated or do I need to upgrade that separately? Also what about the addon's like Zentools to Zentools 2 for instance. Is it just a matter of installing these over the top of existing by using Joomla's normal install method as they were originally installed. All my changes are done in the correct override method, so I know my changes will not be over written, but what else is there to watch out for?

And for the record, I use Akeeba Backup Pro also, I champion the use of paid 3rd party support here in Australia and was one of my topics at the recent JoomlaDay Australia weekend. (Which you guys supported thank you very much). I believe the only way our Joomla Community can grow is by support of 3rd party suppliers like Joomla Bamboo who can not survive on air alone :)

Cheers
Jeff
  • zoldar
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Jeff,

Yes the framework is included in the template so if you use the installer then that will be automatically updated.

Updating zt or zt2 is done through the installer as well. In some cases for zt2 you may need to recreate the master css file, or save the settings if you want to access new functionality. Uninstalling them first will also remove all of the settings so just installing on top is fine.

Thanks again for your support Jeff :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers