Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Button Menu instead of text

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have looked through the zen framework documentation, but can not see where I can change the menu style from text link to button link. Some direction will be good as I need to change the cosmetics of a site by using button style menu links.

Cheers
Jeff
  • zoldar
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Jeff,

not quite sure what you mean by button link - can you provide a bit more info

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I knew that would of happened :P
At the moment when I set up the menu, the text only is active for each menu item. I would like to make the whole area around the text a hyperlink like many other menu bars. Just not sure what to style to accomplish this.

I hope it is clear as mud now ;P
  • zoldar
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
A picture is worth a thousand words, so have attached a menu with what I call buttons. Separation does not matter, just the way this menu is done, they could be touching each other or have a pixel or two separation.
menu.jpg
  • zoldar
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Jeff,
Got a link so we can help further? You need to swap the line-height and padding on the li and move it to the a to do this.

Cheers
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,
What I was looking for was something in the framework that I could override if I needed to. I do not want to butcher any code, just a method of putting something into custom.css when I want this type of menu, similar to the background and heading overrides I use now. Just not sure what css needs to be overwritten.

There is no specific task at the moment, but because Xero is a blank slate each time I start, I want options to create different styles.
  • zoldar
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
For that matter Anthony as a followup to the button style menu, where to style for underline of selected menu etc like you have on focus? I guess what I am looking for is what I can create overrides on to give different menu effects.
  • zoldar
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Jeff,

It would depend really on what you wanted to change - styling outside of the template settings would be probably be mostly css customisation

docs.joomlabamboo.com/zen-grid-framework-4/theme/customisation.html

So it would be manual process - does this answer the question?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoldar
Thanks Paul,
This is what I am talking about and was hoping you could point me to the menu related css sections of Xero. That way I know what to override and what not to. Will look through the newest link you just posted and see what I can get from that though, come back to you if I am still wandering in the dark.

Cheers
Jeff
  • zoldar
  • 39 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Hi Jeff,

Its hard to be specific really its a case of using tools to work out the css to change

We largely use the Chrome Web Developer Tool set (Web Dev)

With styling in the browser you can turn styles off and on using the right panel

That link is about where to add changes / new styles

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoldar

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers