Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Xero Beta Feedback from Serge

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi, here is my feedback.

I have encountered the following errors/problems on the quickstart:
1. SyntaxError: syntax error <!doctype html>; on all pages
2. Mootools being loaded on joomla category blog. Can't disable it from the template manager. Can however disable it with a plugin, without problems, so think it's not really needed.
3. This error on category blog pages: Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$use_font_loader in \xampp\htdocs\xero\templates\xero\tpls\blocks\head.php on line 45 (only on the quickstart, not on my own play server with just the template/plugins)
4. On single joomla article, while making use of images from the images and links tab in the article manager, and float left for the image, article-content clearfix makes the text appear below the image, not aside from it.

I have played around with it local and live (quickstart-template/plugins)

General Impression:
Awesome. Very elegant, very light, very fast (125ms with some caching and compressing, well chuffed:P). And what about those social things, just 15 kb, instead of 10gb those social services usually load:). I know about two clicks social sharing to avoid that, the way you are doing it now is new to me, and it's great.

About the template manager:
1. Hide maincontent on front page; maybe an idea to be able to hide it on any menu item.
2. Sticky nav; maybe an idea to make it an option to keep it sticky on smaller viewports.

Ok, that's it for now. Much to discover yet, so far from complete.

Oh, one more thing. If you put nav collapse on breakpoints to 900 px it doesn't work. Well, actually it does, but since the template width is 900 px you would expect it to collapse, but apparantly you have to put it higher (i guess viewport orso), and then it does collapse. I guess you have to set it to a silly high number to also have it collapsed on giant screens.
  • Serge
  • 12 Month basic
  • 39 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Thanks so much for your feedback Serge.

1. Yes thats on my list

2. Hadn't seen that one so thanks.

3. Thats due to the incomplete quickstart package. Basically a setting has been added after the last time I saved that instance of the template. But Ill fix it in the package.

4. Thanks - must be related to something after I had checked that one.

Re performance yeah Im super happy with our tests so far. One content page on the demo delivers a 96% page speed result with htaccess additions!

5. Hide main content - thats a little more complex and adds some more overhead in terms of processing. I think its a good idea though so will add it to the list and see what I can do.

6. Ok yep will do

7. The nav collapse might need to be navcollapse + 1. Ill test that and get a fix.

Thanks again!
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Actually I just tested the navcollapse and it works as expected here. The navcollapse value responds to the width of the browser and not the template. So yes if you want it to always be collapsed then adding 6000px will probably be high enough :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
And just had a crack at sticky nav for small screens. The issue is that the menus behave differently when collapsed. So offcanvas, and toggle with fixed positioning on the parent dont play so well together.
Ill revisit this again some time to see if there is a way to reduce the complexity but at the moment it wont make it into v1.0.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks again Anthony!

Well to me the doctype error and mootools popping up where the most important ones, i always get a bit upset when i see that loading :woohoo:

The ideas to be added where just that, ideas, it's always easy to come up with those when you don't have to realize them yourself.

Only other thing i can come up with are the overrides (or views, dunno) for components, especially tags, but frankly i don't know whether that should be considered a framework or a template thing. But i just noticed that it takes the standard html for tags view.
  • Serge
  • 12 Month basic
  • 39 posts
Yeah sorry, me again.

When using zentools grid to display a gallery in an article, zentools.js is called before jquery, thus giving a reference error. Happens on just the template and on the quickstart.

Ah on second look, it doesn't happen on filter and accordion, but happens on the rest of the options. I have compared the loading order against sidewinder template, where zentools.js comes after jq, so i guess it is not module related.
  • Serge
  • 12 Month basic
  • 39 posts
Thanks Serge.

Fixed the mootools issue locally. Not sure if its required actually for that view. I assume not so will wait and see if anythign pops up.

Re tags Xero is a blank starter theme so it's goign to be pretty basic for that. We will get more creative with tag display later on.

Re jQuery I'll test that again here. It may be that you need to enable jQuery in the module to avoid that. I had thought when testing it didn't happen but couldnt figure out why not.

If you check the filter view it probably has jQuery loading which is correct.

Thanks again.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Loading jq through the module indeed fixes it.

For what i have understood about mt and joomla moving away from it, only smartsearch still needs it, but it is hard to find (at least for me) any real documentation about it. Completely understand about tags, more a template thing.

Okidoki, thanks again and looking forward to ZGF4 1.0!!
  • Serge
  • 12 Month basic
  • 39 posts
Great thanks - Ill be sure to add that in the documentation.

Glad you like it :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers