Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

T3-assets/js folder keeps producing new .js files 24 hours a day

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Is it normal for the T3-assets/js folder to keep producing new .js files 24 hours a day ?

Sometime in the last 10 days, I suddenly noticed my Akeeba backups were growing in size everyday. I had not added anything new during this time.

After searching through all the folders for my website, I discovered that the T3-assets folder had over 500MBs of files. It was overflowing with CSS and JS files. So I deleted them all a few days ago. The problem is still occurring now and growing hour by hour.

There are only two major things I have changed on the website recently.
#1. Updated T3 to build version 2.4.9
#2. Un-installed RSComments and installed CComments

Do you know what may be going on here ?

Regards
Derek.
  • Derek Moran
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 34 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Derek,

Thats weird and also a pain. Do you have cache turned on on your site? I would have thought cache would prevent the assets from being compiled.
Can you try downgrading to T3 2.4.8 to see if there is any change using that version?
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Yes I have Conservative Caching turned ON.
I have rolled back T3 to 2.4.8 and it is still madly producing .js files and css files.

I will post this problem on the t3-framework.org forum and see what they say over there.
I can't work out what I possibly could have done to cause this.
For the meantime, I will have to manually clean the assets folder every 24 hours.
  • Derek Moran
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 34 posts
Hi Derek,

Some other things Ive thought of:

1. Do you have a high traffic site? Normally the way these things work is that the script should calculate any changes and then compress only if the values have changed. So I wonder if your traffic is a factor? Not sure how exactly but it might help to know.

2. Have you tested if it happens on every page load? So clear the cache and visit 5 pages. Are there 5 assets created? Are the pages all content pages or do they all have the same on page assets?
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
1. The website averages about 15,000 pages views per day, 1400 unique sessions.

2. Yes I have cleared the cache many times and then started going to different web pages.
It seems to be producing new JS files about 80% of the time, for each new web page I visit.

To the best of my ability, I have had a close look at all things I updated, added or changed on the website during the last 10 days.

Anything new I have added, I turned OFF completely in the Extensions Menu. However after doing this the problem is still occurring.

During the last 10 days I did the following.
*Removed RSComments
*Installed CComments
*Updated Kunena Forum to version 4.0.3
*Installed new template for Kunena

Problem was already occurring before I updated Kunena and installed new template.
I totally disabled CComments, cleared cache, however problem is still occurring.

I have contacted t3-framework Forum.
They have asked me to contact my web host and check if server problem. My web host is Quadrahosting and they deliver A1+ service. Will wait to hear back from Quadrahosting before proceeding any further. If they have nothing to add, I will then go back to t3-framework Forum.

Obvious solution is to turn OFF compression of CSS and JS if no one can diagnose this problem. :silly:
  • Derek Moran
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 34 posts
Hmm thats very weird. Can you let me know what the T3 people say?

Buzz me back if they dont get back to you.
Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony

T3 Forum asked that I contact my Hosting Provider.
So I got Quadrahosting to investigate and they could not find anything unusual. We did turn some server settings on/off during testing, but it made no difference.
Newstream2 has been working perfectly OK on the same server before this event happened.

I have just reported back to the T3 forum with my results from yesterday, so I need to give them a chance to respond.

At the moment this looks like a classic X-file.
Until I can get further information, I have disable Compression for CSS and JS files.

Derek :unsure:
  • Derek Moran
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 34 posts
Any Joy with T3 folks?

Although I don't think they work weekends

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I haven't heard back from T3 Forum.

For the last 4 days I have disabled compression for JS files, but I did turn back on compression for CSS files.

I don't know what is normal anymore.
For four days I now have 14x different CSS files in the t3-assets/css/ folder.
That looks OK now.

I don't know how to proceed from here, other than keeping JS Compression turned off.
It doesn't really bother me that much, because my page load times remain the same whether it is on or off.

Derek.
  • Derek Moran
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 34 posts
Hi Derek,

Just wondered how you were getting on

Have you still not heard back from the T3 folks?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
No I have not heard back from T3 folks.
  • Derek Moran
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 34 posts
Hey Derek,

Sorry I cant shed any more light on this issue. Not sure what's going on with T3 dev at the moment but that sounds like a serious bug. If you aren't imp[acted greatly then sounds like disabling it is the best option.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers