Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Main menu on tablet in horizontal position is not working

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy to hear this is being brought up again and that it wasn't just me (at least I THINK I'm happy). Always worrisome. Hope a solution can be found. Thanks for adding in,
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Thanks for posting back here.

I'd be just as happy to get a fix. As you know we spent hours on this for you and couldn't replicate the issue reliably.

If anyone has an example of where it's happening please post here and we will look into it.

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Yes. These things are lnike bringing your car to the mechanic and then not being able to reproduce the problem for them. I hope someone else can add examples, too.
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
Hi again,

OK so we have been through every possible setting on the site where we have a problem (probably tried too many variations...) and S3 Galaxy tab still seems to give a problem.

We are running some tests later today on Windows tablets/phones but dont expect them to give any problems).

The trouble is, we dont have access to every device, but, at this point, we think it is limited to this particular device (group of devices?).

The site with the problem can be found at:

www.i-labeling.com/caravancamping/

It is still under development, so we can try any settings you like...(and you may find some unfinished stuff as well)

The key things we find are that the S3 will not select consistently from the megamenu. It works reasonably well if the hover is turned off and aas long as you work slowly, but put hover on and you cant select any of the category settings at all. Sometimes (not always to make things even more exasperating), the menu will crash on selection.

Paul asked for links to the discussions on the T3 forum.

www.t3-framework.org/discussions/t3-bs3-2-0-2-navigation-submenu-not-working-on-mobile-version.html is one of the discussions.

Cheers

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Thanks Richard.

My Samsung device is at the office unfortunately but Ill be able to pick this up tomorrow.

Hope we can figure out whats going on here.

Cheers
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi,

Not a solution suitable for everyone, but we will probably create a second menu for mobile display which allows an easier navigation. There may be as many as 200 final shop categories which doesn't allow for easy navigation on a mobile, so the idea of the second menu will be to allow a much simpler top level display only on mobile devices.

This is for the benefit of the site user rather than because of any particular device issues. I am as bad as anyone in getting carried away by my enthusiasm for something before remembering that someone has to navigate what we finally create....

Just a thought...

The megamenu on all settings will be there for a day or two for anyone to test.

Cheers

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi,

Been Googling about this device and there are quite a few reports in 2012- 2014 of problems with JQuery mobile and the tab S3.

Are there any clues here? We have now discovered that search is not working well either.

Cheers

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi,

More reading and experiments.

If I change the template to the latest zengrid based (Xero), then the menus work fine on every device.

Checking on the T3 forums, a number of people have had similar problems - menus not working on S2 and S3 Samsung devices.

These consist of:

Not being able to select a second or third level menu
The menu flashing on then off (a timing issue?)
The menu not sliding open (not sure exactly how this is different)
And various variations on this

To my mind this points to the T3 framework being the source of the problem. I will place a question on the forums there - though nobody seems to be answering them.

I am not sure this helps except maybe to point to where the issue may lie.

Cheers

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hi everyone,

OK so I am not able to explain it but we resolved the problem on our site by unpublishing all modules, taking off all full-width settings then creating a new menu and finally reintroducing the modules one by one.

I say it's unsatisfactory because I cant say which part of this resolved the problem.

We still have some modules/components to work through, so if any of these bring the problem back, we will let you know.

I imagine tmsrDD you have already tried this approach, but, if not, it may be worth a try.

Cheers

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Richard,
Thanks for all of your step-by-step work on this issue. No, I hadn't tried that approach, to turn off the modules, but I will try it this weekend.

Thank you,
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
Good luck... This has to be a conflict somewhere, so you might want to look for any mootools/jquery clashes as well...

If I do find anything else, I will post here.

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Hmm thats very interesting - sounds like a js conflict if thats the case. Did you find out which module Richard?
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony,

With the problem resolved, I cant be sure, but my best guess is the layerslider module in our case. We had two candidates in mind which were the layer slider and the universal Ajax search. You can see that the JS for these was being output after the jquery-noconflict.js

If I ever feel strong enough to check again....:)

The prime candidate was the layer slider. Our reasoning is that this has settings which you can set at 100% or at specific px or % widths, and I think that the 100% width puts it outside the template parameters (I hope I am explaining this well enough).

The reason I can't be sure is that, in the order of events we reset the template to be 96% width before I reintroduced the layerslider and by then everything was working again, so I can't be sure which is the chicken and which the egg.

If Christmas festivities don't get too much next week, we may try to force an error again to see if this really was the case, but I do think your instinct is on the right track.

Cheers

Richard
  • richarddhill
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 193 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Anthony, besides Richard's efforts (thank you, Richard) at guessing and going through trying to eliminate the cause of the issue, did you figure out what is causing it definitely so I can make changes required to the template? Better yet, as a result of the efforts of all involved here (you and Paulus included), is there a template update you are pushing out?
tmsrDD
  • tmsrDD
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 118 posts
Ah no sorry I dont have a concrete fix. Did you try disabling modules as per Richard's technique above? Seems like a js or css conflict from something outside the menu.
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue with my Base3 template. My client is testing with an Android phone. They are saying when they try to expand the menu, nothing happens...

Any solutions on this? Test site here: new.npcollab.org

I just changed the dropdown-action from Hover to Click in the settings, I'm going to ask my client to check it again but it seems there is a valid issue here...

Thanks,
-Nate
  • c2oxide
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 5 posts
Hi Nate,

Are you using the same device as above?
and using the latest template version?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes, using the latest template version.

Device is Samsung Galaxy SIII, Android version 4.4.2
  • c2oxide
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 5 posts
We are still looking at this but its proving difficult

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi there,

I have a Samsung Tab3 and both the default browser and google chrome work fine for the menu links.
Which specific links do they have issue with?
Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers