Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

layout change from default to home

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I am having the same problem as Tommy but do not understand how or why this works. Why should I have to have two templates to make this work?

And to clarify, do I need to make a duplicate of the template then create another "menu" in the module section?

I just seem to keep hitting my head on the desk when I try to figure out how your templates work.
  • Kim Huff
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 86 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi

There is no need to create a new menu just a new template style
Its not two templates just the one but with two versions - it makes it easier to add different layouts to pages

People want different layouts and doing it this way enables us to offer it

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
If you are stuggling with the template can I perhaps suggest installing the quickstart version locally and working alongside that on your site in progress

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
What I don't understand is how does having two templates work if only one can be the default. I tried it with just one template and I could not get any of my articles to show up.
  • Kim Huff
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 86 posts
I guess I am not sure how the "quickstart" works. I tried installing it like an extension and that did not work. I unzipped the file and I see that it is basically all of the Joomla files. Do I need to start over again?
  • Kim Huff
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 86 posts
The quickstart isn't an extension its a standalone package including Joomla, template, extensions and demo data

It can only be installed to an empty folder.

All our templates come in to options an empty template only version and a quickstart one

So it depends on what you installed whether you need to start again

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
"What I don't understand is how does having two templates work if only one can be the default. I tried it with just one template and I could not get any of my articles to show up."

Are you referring to the default template style or the default layout (in the template layout tab)?

Cheers
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
I was talking about the default "template" not the default layout... which is another concept that I am struggling with on your templates. I don't know why I am struggling so much. I ran into issues at JS but not this bad. I know it isn't your template that is the problem and my own mental blocks, but I need to figure this out before it is time to decide to renew.
  • Kim Huff
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 86 posts
The default template is assigned to all pages of the site unless they are overridden by another template is specifically assigned to that page

Normally this is a template style assigned to home page that contains a different layout file - which makes the page look different

There are template styles as listed in template manager page (these are versions of template with at least one version of the template listed - can be more)

Layout files display the content is a certain way and are inside the template style (style = version)

Hope that is abit clearer - if not please ask me to clarify

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers