Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Front Page Banner Zen Tools Slideshow

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have friendly URLs turned on and loaded the nebula quickstart. There are the 3 slides on the banner. If I click on the Read More it takes me to the article - the URL for all 3 has www.website.com/projects/ and then either project-1, project-2. or project-3 at the end depending on the article.

I have written over these 3 slides with my own - all works great. But I still get project in the URL. I have made my own category and assigned these 3 articles to that.
I have added a new slide / article by copying one of the 3 slides and it is showing fine as well.

So what I am trying to sort out is.

1. Where is Projects coming from? I can see a menu item called projects but can't find how its related in any way.

2. The discs that you can click on to back or forward between slides only show for he first 3 slides, and also for the new slide (so 4 in total). But if I click on the disc which has my new slide - it breaks the slideshow which stops, and the discs disappear and I have to click the home link to see the slide show again.

3. The new slide I added is identical in every way (other than title, and text) to the 3 slides. If I click on the Read More it does nothing - doesn't go to the full article like the other 3 slides - and it comes up with a different URL (without the word Project in it) - it has the correct category name and then the article name.

But with the article showing the correct category name and the article name, why does it add a number eg. /10-air-leakage/89-don-t-be... I assume this is the category ID and article ID - how do you get rid of them.

Hope this makes sense - you can see the website here: www.acdraftshields.com.au/ and its the 3rd disc (slide) that is the new one.

Thanks
  • Huski
  • 12 Month basic
  • 264 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Quite a bit here to go at

1. Are you linking to a category called projects or is projects the parent of the items?

Is the aliases correct for them all - when you changed the links did you also remember to change the aliases?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi Paul

Each article has the correct Alias.

Not sure what you mean about links. in the Zen Tools slideshow you just add the articles in that you want to show.

Still looking through to find - very confusing.

Chris
  • Huski
  • 12 Month basic
  • 264 posts
Right - I found that that there is a Projects Menu which is in the Footer Menu (which I may have moved) and have set it to Special access so general public don't see it.

When I unpublish, then I get the correct article URLS without the word project in it, but none of the Read Mores work.

Looked at each submenu under Projects (which was assigned Category Blog and had the category I put these articles in), and the submenus were all single articles pointing the 3 articles that worked, but the fourth (new one I created) was not there.

Question is, do I have to set up a menu item for this to work? Why? I don't want a menu showing these articles - just want them to be associated wtih the banner slideshow.
  • Huski
  • 12 Month basic
  • 264 posts
Hi Chris,

Zentools as with all joomla extensions will use the links you have set up so you need to have them set up how you want to display

e.g. I normally have a separate menu called hidden menu that does not display on the site - the links are separate rather than a single category link which gives more control over module assignment

I wouldn't have a parent item set up

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by manh.
Thanks - got rid of Projects, created hidden menu, and now mostly working.

Only thing that isn't is the new article I added which totals 4 for the slidehshow - when you first open up the site, it shows four of the navigation discs, but when you click on the 3rd one which is the newest article, all the discs disappear until you hit home button.
  • Huski
  • 12 Month basic
  • 264 posts
and that link is in the hidden menu and the article / link is published?

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Yes - everything identical to the other 3 links - I'm still looking but so far can't find out why.
  • Huski
  • 12 Month basic
  • 264 posts
Can you try as a test removing the br tags

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Have removed them from Text option for Zen Tools but no different - still same issue.

Also when I click on one of the discs, it stops the slideshow completely - is this supposed to be the case?
Thanks
  • Huski
  • 12 Month basic
  • 264 posts
No its not

It would look like its the content but that can't be it if you removed the br and strong

Can you create a ticket for the site - please include a summary of the problm in the ticket together with ftp and joomla admin access

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Figured out why the discs were missing - the image I had was too big - I checked the existing images and resized the image to that.

But the slide show doesn't continue if you click on the navigation discs so something not right there.
  • Huski
  • 12 Month basic
  • 264 posts
Thanks for the update

I believe that is the standard behaviour of the slideshow - once clicked it stays on that slide

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers