Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

font-family in Japanese

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

I am using "Nebula" as multi-language site.
>>> www.japanese-restaurant.eu/

My issue is Japanese characters, i.e. Japanese fonts.
So far, Japanese characters are displayed correctly using casual "sans-serif" font, but ugly.

How can we change a font-family (mainly for the body).

Unfortunately Google fonts has NO Japanese characters.

- I filled "Meiryo UI" on "Selector to apply a custom font"
- I filled "font: Meiryo" on "CSS to be applied to custom font"
- I added "font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro", Meiryo, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;" on the file "css/template.css"
...... just to see what happens.

Nothing. Nothing was changed or reflected. (Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari)

Then I uploaded the font file "meiryo.ttc" into the font folder of the template "Nebula".
Nothing was changed.
So I gave up.

Is it so difficult? Can't we just make a new font-family, so that I can select it from the "body font family" of the template configuration?
If yes, how to do that?

Sorry to say, but as far as the Asian languages are concerned font setting became more complicated with new themes.

I appreciate any help or information from you.
Thank you.
ichiro
  • nagata
  • 12 Month basic
  • 57 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi ichiro

do you have a favourite font that is able to be embedded? - in Europe many fonts don't allow this

It is possible to embed a font but it would need to be optimised to be suitable

e.g I'd look at font squirral for this but I can't see any Japanese fonts here

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
This might come in handy for optimising the font (thanks Rob)

www.fontsquirrel.com/tools/webfont-generator

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hello Paul,

Thank you very much for a reply and information.

It looks like I have to learn about font-setting by myself, as it is now clear that it has nothing to do with your template "Nebula".
First I thought that Japanese fonts are correctly reflected on your old templates (joomla 2.5), but it was my misunderstanding.

Once again, it is not your issue, but let me explain a bit for your information.
There are only two kinds of Japanese standard fonts, one for Windows and one for Apple and each has serif- and non-serif fonts.
As they are practically system fonts, these fonts are used automatically to view websites if no Japanese open-type fonts are imbedded, but on the original Japanese OS. If OS is roman language (Windows7 German in my case), even Japanese language is supported with in-put method and Japanese fonts are installed in the PC, often the wrong fonts like Chinese simsum is used for Japanese language websites or software.
That's why I believe, as far as the Japanese fonts are concerned, it is not enough just to set the font, as serif or san-serif, but also it is needed to assign exactly the fonts name.

I tell you this, because if we can select (or you add) Japanese font-family on the font configuration in your template, you can appeal this point and you will certainly gain more Japanese clients :cheer:

In my case, I purchased Adobe CS3, in which PostScript Japanese fonts can be imbedded for the print media, but I don't know if I can use it for Website as well. I have to see.
If it is possible, do I have to upload it into the file
.../templates/nebula/fonts ?

Anyway, like I said, I have to learn about this issue by myself.
Thank you again for your help
Ichiro
  • nagata
  • 12 Month basic
  • 57 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hi

I'd be surprised if purchasing adobe cs3 would allow you to embed any fonts due to license restriction issues - they operate a separate font business

Regarding the font issue you would need to a font that specifically allows embedding in its license

With the T3 templates there is a the league gothic font that is embedded an example but you need the same font file types as shown in the font folder

We would need to create a ticket for this but first you would need the various font files ready

That said we've not tried this yet with a non latin based font :)

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers