Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Can Linked-In be added to the Social Icons?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

It would be handy of in addition to G+, fb, pinterest and twitter, a Linked-In post could be triggered from social icons. What do I need to do, or is that going to require work behind the scenes?
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
That isn't available via the template I'm afraid

You can use the additional icon section to point to one page but not share a page I'm afraid

I'm not really sure what is involved or if the linkedin api allows it - they have tightened up usage

If its still of interest I can ask what is involved on monday or if its actually possible

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Thanks Paul,

I somehow missed that bloody big button at the bottom of the Social settings for the template. Doh!

I can add the base part of the URL required, but the url=url of page doesn't seem to add automatically, as it does for twitter. Is there some parameter or substitution term I can use, or is it possible to have it do the same thing it does for the twitter icon and add that?

The sharing option via Customised URL for LinkedIn is pretty straight-forward, details can be found here:

developer.linkedin.com/docs/share-on-linkedin

But using Custom URL, it can be www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=urltopage

So I can include up to & character, but it would be great if there is some way to append the url parameter, like the twitter and google+ icons do with the end of the post links.

I was hoping that it would be template supported, so it would just fit in with the other similar without having to muck about with any of the template php and end up with problems on upgrade.

You can see a sample of what the guys as Ossolutions have done in Events Booking for a similar link here:
181.224.149.100/~clarkso3/calendar/fac/1-2015fac09

I found this article to explain how to change social icons:
docs.joomlabamboo.com/tools/tools-social-icons

But the path references don't seem to have been updated for Joomla 3 and I am having some trouble finding where the appropriate document is if I have to edit myself.
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by James Clarkson.
Hi Paul,

Did a bit of a temporary kludge by modifying templates/gazetta/tpls/blocks/social.php to unconditionally add url=and the php for current page. This seems to work for a whole bunch of social posting sites, such as Linked-In, Delicious, Digg, Stumble upon.

It seems that it would be possible to add a couple of options to the extra Social icons to allow to append current page url and an optional parameter for the name of the query string parameter, which is most commonly 'url', but I have found some with slightly different query string parameter names, such as 'add', 'bkmk' etc.

I've also found where I can change the code to add these parameters in the Template admin, but and will probably do that for my own purposes, but it would be great if it was core to zentools, and would make upgrade path safer for me, and might add good utility for others fairly simply?

Regards,
James
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: manh, Janice Jones
Hi James,

I'll ask Anthony the lead developer to look at this thread on monday

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
and thanks for the solution you provided :)
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks
Hi James,

Yes you would need a js or php solution to be able to add the query strings for networks to pick up the current page.

I'll look at adding the Linkedin share function as it's relatively straightforward based on this kind of url:

www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=http://www.joomlabamboo.com

Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Just wondering if this has been done, as it doesn't appear in my template currently, so not sure whether still on to-do list or I need to install something?
  • James Clarkson
  • 12 Month basic
  • 62 posts
  • 3 Thanks
I don't think we have implemented it yet

I will check and get back to you

Cheers
Paul
  • manh
  • 45248 posts
  • 2106 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers