Support Forum

• Page:

jTweet not showing old tweets (older than 3-4 hours)

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

As the subject says, 3-4 hours and after that the tweet is not loaded anymore. I have jTweet latest 1.5.2 version and here is the site I am making for reference: toshex.tk/ and my twitter: twitter.com/toshex

as you can see at the moment my last post was about a day old and on my site there is no tweets shown. if i do write another tweet now it will show, but only until its not older than about 4 hours.

I don't mind old tweets not showing, but my definition of old tweets is something like: at least 3-4 days, preferably a few weeks or up to a month.

EDIT: it did not show any tweets even after i wrote a new tweet now. then i edited the parameter for loading tweets message, wrote something else, and now it works, shows tweets again, and shows the 19 hour old tweet too...

What seems to be going on? and is that back to top button part of the jTweet cause it didn't show when there were no tweets...

EDIT: i seem to have posted this in a wrong category, which is odd, I didn't get to chose a category, please pardon my mistake and move the topic.
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
Last Edit: 13 years 5 months ago by toshex.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
any help?
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
I can't see anything wrong with it. It is clearly showing the latest tweet on your site...
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
well no one helped when it was bugged so I wrote some new tweets, and that fixes it up until it does the same thing again. I also turned on this option in joomla called "Enable Web Services" which apparently enables third party site article editors or something, but it may help or not. We'll see.

I will refrain, as hard as it may be, from updating my twitter so that if it happens again (and if it will it will until tomorrow) so you guys may advise on the problem.
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
The only thing that I can think of is the 'show replies?' option. If you have that set to no, RTs will not show in your jTweet module.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
No, the problem is not tweets not showing at all. all the tweets I write show, but after some time passes (most recently after I went to bed and woke up full 15 hours later - hadn't slept for 2 days - without touching anything) the tweets that did show, and without writing new tweets, won't show any more.

So in one line it is: write tweets - all is ok, after random time from 2 hours to 10 hours passes and I don't write new tweets, the old tweets disappear.

And what you said about show replies. I have the show replies (it says Display Replies) option set to NO, but as you can see if you go to my site it shows the reply tweets too... that is odd at the least.
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
Hi there,

Just checked it again and it seems fine so maybe not enough time has elapsed.

Can you post a screenshot in your settings in the meantime and let us know when it happens again.

I do know that strange things happen with the twitter api but its not something I experience on this site and I have tweeted relatively infrequently on here recently.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Here are the settings:

jTweet_settings.jpg

and yea I do realize that even twitter goes down far too often, but I've seen this module work flawlessly on demo sites and other sites, so I am guessing something is interfering, or some joomla setting is off.
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
Thats pretty much what I have on this site although I only have 1 tweet showing.

Can you buzz us when it happens again?

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
sure thing, the only thing that has come to my mind regarding what might be the issue is long tweets. I sometimes use up all the 140 characters and it was the case with a few tweets these days. Maybe it happens to tweets that are max length and older than X hour. In any case I will test it out, and write back a response if something happens.

Oh, and thank you for the fast replies and general concern ^^
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
Havent heard of that happening before though - but i have heard of strange stuff happening with specific accounts.

Have you tried any other twitter modules and go the the same result.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
OK IT HAPPENED. It seems really random though. I showed the post until it was about 20 hours old, sometimes it happens on less than that. Anyhow see my site: toshex.tk/

the settings are still to show latest 2 tweets. but it shows only one. My tweets: twitter.com/toshex

Possible explanations: I have a retweet, it doesn't show on my site, but it counts it maybe and shows only 1 tweet + the hidden retweet?

just check it out reply and I will test adding one tweet first to see if the current tweet that is less than an hour old hides; then I'll add 2 more retweets to see if nothing shows on my site, and then add a tweet and a retweet to see if only one shows, and add 2 tweets to see if they both show.
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
Confirmed, it is the retweets!

my tweets were as follows:

latest: RETWEET
older: My own tweet 1
older: My own tweet 2

As such even though I had my module set to post the latest 2 tweets but not show the retweets, it showed only the latest tweet that I wrote "My own tweet 1", but still reserved space for the retweet even though it did not show it.
Afterwards I wrote another tweet, and my tweets were as such:

latest: My own tweet 3
older: RETWEET
older: My own tweet 1
older: My own tweet 2

Now it shows "My own tweet 3" and reserves the second position for the retweet, but does not show it. Meaning if there is a RETWEET in the latext N number of tweets jTweets needs to display, it will show the N-R latest tweets(number of tweets minus the number of retweets in the N latest overall tweets). If R equals or is higher than N then no tweets at all will be shown, and when that happens even the back to top button doesn't work.

I think this is not that big of an issue to fix, probably the code only hides but still counts retweets as tweets, instead it should skip them and take the next available regular tweet (sorry if I made a reckless assumption here).

Well, waiting on some replies.
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
Hi there,

In the shot above your settings show that 'show replies' is set to no, so RTs will not show. That is correct behaviour.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
true, but that does not mean that the not showing RT will take the place of a tweet that is supposed to show...

if I have 10 RT's as latest tweets, it should post the first older tweet before the RT's

example: here in your site you have the module set to only show 1 tweet. if you are to retweet a tweet from someone, the module will be empty until you write a new tweet...
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
Correct.

It shows the last x tweets. If you show 1 tweet and your last tweet is RT, and you don't display RTs, nothing will show on your site.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Well now that I know it i will try to avoid it, but it isn't mentioned in the features, and I am sure it should be fixed if it can. Its an amazing module, the best I have come across for this purpose and this just seems like a flaw in it.
  • toshex
  • Free Extensions
  • 10 posts
I think you are right too. Ive added it to the todo list to get a fix for it.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers