Support Forum

• Page:

Why Force Geocoding instead of just asking address

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I am trying to use jbMaps. So far, it's just succeeded in wasting about an hour.

The problem is that I have to geocode the markers. Google maps the location perfectly, but the other geocoders (geocoder.us, and batchgeocode.com) seem to use the same bad data.

I guess if I could use the Google geocoder (through the API?), that would solve it, but that would be a little research project.

I don't know the conversion between Degrees, Minutes, Seconds and feet, but my location is off by a few hundred feet.

Why not just ask the addresses?
  • kenlyle
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 171 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
JB Maps hasnt really had any development for over ayear now - so its long overdue. I really just created it based off a fairly rudimentary jQuery script. I believe the api has been updated significantly now so it's certainly due for some attention.

I cant give you any dates on new releases but we will certainly look at being able to implement all of the usual google maps api hooks to make it easier to use.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
That would be super, man!

If you could just offer the option to use an address OR coordinates for the markers, that would go a LONG way.

It might be under an hour of work. What can I do to encourage you?
  • kenlyle
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 171 posts
Not much unfortunately.

We need to get the framework ported to 1.6 and Im committed to gettign the next theme out in time for the start of the month. Maybe the middle of next month will free up some time for us to work on that.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hey, A. I just installed GmapFP, gmapfp.org/ - Check it out. Seems to work well in Newstream. Looks really strong, excellent comments on JED and their site.
  • kenlyle
  • 6 Month Basic
  • 171 posts
@Kenlyle,

Thanks, this looks pretty cool, and something I can use in my property rental site
  • tornado
  • 12 Month basic
  • 139 posts
Yeah that does look good :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers