Support Forum

• Page:

Displaying images from categories

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

So I've made pretty good progress with my site using the Grid template. One question I have though about how the CaptifyContent module displays images.

I have a site with six different areas to it. I decided to create one overall section with six different categories. Each category will have multiple articles. I want those six categories to be represented on the front page with images I set in the category properties. Seems like this should be doable from the captifycontent settings. Under general captify settings I set it to display images under Categories. Then under Content Display Settings I don't know why I'm forced to restrict it to a specific Category since it seems to render the other option useless, but I see that the one option is Select All Categories. I hope this is an actual setting and put it on that. Of course, nothing displays because I guess this is not how CaptifyContent works.

So, my question is, is there any way to make this work? I know I could have six different Captify Content Modules, but I want only two rows of three images and I don't think I can pull that off with six seperate modules. Unless of course there is a way to make 1 image span the entire width of the module so I don't get white space where there is no image. Is this doable? And how come the captifycontent module does not support displaying from different categories? What is the point of allowing it to pull an image from the Section or Category then? Would it not show just one image for all links this way? Hopefully someone can clear up my confusion. Thanks tons.
  • Jason
  • Free Extensions
  • 31 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? It's really necessary for me to get the site up as it should be and I can't seem to figure out the best approach.
  • Jason
  • Free Extensions
  • 31 posts
Hi Jason,

The select all categories option actually only applies to when you are displaying content items. If you are displaying categories then you need to add the section id in the parameter that says section. Then it will display the categories you are talking about.

Hope that helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Well that definitely answered my question, thank you. I don't know why I entirely missed that option. Of course I decided that solution did not provide the desired behavior, so I've changed things again. Regardless, that did work and I thank you for the help.
  • Jason
  • Free Extensions
  • 31 posts
Thanks Jason :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I was under the same impression and spent hours trying to figure out how to get it to work. I want it to show the desire images assigned to categories. So in other words, i would select "show categories" and then actually put put in comma separated categories that I want to show. However there is no support for that.

If there is please let me know. The way captify works is very deceiving.
  • Tangier Clarke
  • 12 Month basic
  • 136 posts
Not sure what you mean by deceiving - lol. We didnt do it on purpose.

If its set to show categories then you need to assign a section id as noted. It will then pull the categories in the order they appear in the category manager. You need to make sure they have images assigned and articles published to them.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Ahhh. That's the catch. If there's no article, they will not show. I meant deceiving in that I though I could list the categories I want (comma separated) rather than controlled by a section.

Thanks.
  • Tangier Clarke
  • 12 Month basic
  • 136 posts
Ok, I am confused. Here's my scenario:

- Created a section with ID = 6
- Created 5 categories assigned the above section
- Each category has an image assigned to it.
- I created 5 articles, each one assigned to one of the categories for the same section
- Captify is set to show categories
- Category display settings is set to "6" for the Section ID parameter

- result = only one image form one category of section ID 6 shows in the grid.

- my understanding is that I should see five images pertaining to the categories in Section ID 6.

Please advise.
  • Tangier Clarke
  • 12 Month basic
  • 136 posts
Hmm sounds a bit fishy - can you provide login details via a ticket?

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers