Support Forum

• Page:

"Updates" Page

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Good Morning from Boston...
Perhaps this is already on your site and I missed it.

I think it would be good to have a single "updates" page where we can quickly view the latest versions of all extensions and templates so we can check our current versions against your most recent ones.

By the way, I have been reading just about everything on your site, and every day I am more and more impressed with your professionalism and elegance.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Matthew,

Yeh I guess I was used to that as well having the version numbers next to the name of the extension. However got used to checking for an update in the update category in the forum and it makes it pretty quick www.joomlabamboo.com/545-template-updates

I know the URL says template updates however its for extensions as well..... its getting pretty large I wonder if Anthony will break them up under separate extensions??? Anthony??? ;)

Cheers
Craig ;)
  • Craig
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 2G rocks
  • 418 posts
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Craig.
Craig,
Yes, I see what you mean.

Also, this might be a slight issue with Joomla. I've noticed that if you go to the Install/Uninstall area, then select (for example) plugins, you see the version number. But if you just go to the plugin manager, you don't see it. I guess this also shows that you can get the version number pretty easily!

The people here at Joomlabamboo do a great job; this is a small thing by comparison to everything they have done.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Hey Matthew,

Thanks a lot for your kind words (bow)

I think this is a great idea and one that I had during the reboot in December but I didnt get around to implementing it. We will put our heads together to see how best to implement this.

Thanks again.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
Just revisiting this briefly, as it is relevant again with updates to the Pixel Eight template, and looking forward, when you update the Microblog extension it will be important.

I think it would probably be easier for you to just have a page on your site with a quick listing of each template and its current version and date of release, and to do the same for the extensions. The forum could work, but I think it's probably clunkier to do it that way.

Regarding this issue: as a customer, the thing I need is the ability to quickly see when an extension or template was updated last, so I know whether I need to grab a new version.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by matthewschenker.
Hey Matthew,

Still on the todo list and only just recovered from birthing Pixel Eight. Prob implent next week.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
Another option would be to just have version numbers for the extensions and templates posted at the download site.

All that's really needed (in my opinion) is a way to confirm whether or not I am running the latest version of your extensions and templates. Of course, I'd like to have this happen without causing too much extra work for you! But I do think it's necessary.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
A page will be good - I just didnt get to it this week. Will have it up in the first few days of the coming week.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
Sounds good.

But hey, don't let this get in the way of your Grid2 efforts! I'm really looking forward to what you come up with in an update to your framework.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Actually Grid2 is an update on the Grid design from July last year but we do have an update to Zen Grid that should be out soon. New version allows overrides within the child theme plus a few more enhancements.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
Ah, OK.

I get confused sometimes with the references to "Grid." That's why I'll say "960-Grid" when referring to your framework, to differentiate it from the specific template.

Grid (template) seems to be one of your most popular items.

UPDATE: I just re-read your response in your latest blog posting (www.joomlabamboo.com/blog/template-news/grunge-magazine-joomla-template-for-april#comment445), and now I understand better. So the updated Grid template will bring it into the 960-Grid framework. That sounds great!

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 1 month ago by matthewschenker.
Actually if you call it Zen Grid that will be better. The 960 Grid is a css framework that we used (in part) we created one fresh but used the same calculations.

Yep Grid2 will use the new Zen Grid framework :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,
OK, I'll make sure to call it Zen Grid from now on! I didn't quite understand exactly how your theme relates to the 960 philosophy, but now I think I do.

And I look forward to seeing Grid2.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Well you'll be seeing FolioLife first and I can't wait for it. My kind of template :)
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Jason,
I read the blog entry on FolioLife, and I am definitely interested! I like Pixel Eight, as it meets my needs of having a template that is elegant and clean, but with enough styling to make it interesting. That's a difficult balance to figure out, and I know how hard the Joomlabamboo developers work at this!

I'd definitely be interested in seeing if FolioLife does this better than Pixel Eight. Patiently waiting for April!

Of course, with the Zen Grid framework, it's nice and easy to install new themes using the same module positions.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
that's great... would also be nice to have latest update date in one of the columns
  • Astrophel
  • Free Extensions
  • 166 posts
  • 2 Thanks
Anthony,
That's great! Very nicely done.

Two friendly suggestions:

1. Add a link to the updates page on the "Quicklinks" popup, or something else easy to get to from the home page. (If you have already done this, my apologies for missing it!)

2. Add the release date to the extensions table.

Again, great work. This is why I like Joomlabamboo more and more every day.

Thanks,
Matthew
  • matthewschenker
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 311 posts
  • 1 Thanks
Last Edit: 14 years 1 week ago by matthewschenker.
Thanks guys - yep a date of release or date of update will be coming. Just time consuming to get back through old releases but its a good idea.

Forgot about the quicklinks link - will add that soon too.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
EXCELLENT! Very helpful for me.

Especially like the page organization. It made things much clearer for me with the naming of the framework and the various templates. Linking to the exact download location would be wonderful

Question: Is there an archive of past versions to download? (I tend to work slowly and can't always take the time to upgrade to the latest. I am experimenting behind the scenes and sometimes have the need to have an older version)

Would it be too much to ask if there could be summary page of what each template contains for modules? (clickable)
  • serena
  • Previous Member
  • 21 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers