Support Forum

• Page:

JBFAQ can't handle elevate 1 javascript?

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

Had a menu conflict with JBFAQ which caused it to be disabled. Trying it again.

I had a member of the forum helping me and he said that the JBFAQ "module is not compatible with the most recent templates (they use different javascript programs that conflict)."

Then, I saw in another thread that a company is using Grid (newer than my theme, Elevate 1) and they're getting along just fine with JBFAQ.

Maybe I just don't know how to use it.

1. The guy helping me has set up the FAQ to be a category view for the General category. I re-enabled JBFAQ and it runs its items underneath that.

You can see it here:

bit.ly/1qC4cU

2. I figured I could disable the General view and get rid of the other FAQ but that gives me a 404 error.

3. All I'm hoping for is to have just JBFAQ and nothing else. How can I get rid of the other stuff and just have JBFAQ running the FAQs?

Thanks for any help.

Jerry
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Jerry,

I assume you mean Jeremy ;)

JB FAQ will work so long as you disable jQuery from the module and have JB Library plugin installed. We havent got around to updating to suit this new workflow so perhaps thats what he was referring to.

Take a look at this page
extensions.joomlabamboo.com/

Specifically the link regarding loading the module into your content.

Hope this helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony Olsen wrote:
Hi Jerry,

I assume you mean Jeremy ;)

JB FAQ will work so long as you disable jQuery from the module and have JB Library plugin installed. We havent got around to updating to suit this new workflow so perhaps thats what he was referring to.

Take a look at this page
extensions.joomlabamboo.com/

Specifically the link regarding loading the module into your content.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Thanks, Anthony.

Does that mean that JQuery is still effective in all other features, so it's only the module that is affected — no effect on Slideshow, BambooBox, and any other features of the Elevate theme that we're using? Do I give up anything by doing this?

Jerry
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
So long as you have JB library installed and published it will be fine.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony Olsen wrote:
So long as you have JB library installed and published it will be fine.

Very good.

Right now it shows that JQuery is not included. Therefore, all I need is the JB library, I suppose.

Thanks.
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
There is an option in the module admin.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,

JQuery was already off. JB Library plugin was already installed and enabled.

Here's what I've got.

-- The category view is still there (see image 1).

-- The items listed are in both the category view and JBFAQ (see image 2)

-- Here's how the JBFAQ module is set up (image 3)

Again, I just want to get rid of the category view without generating a 404 error, and having only the JBFAQ.

Attachments:
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
thought I could upload all three images in one post. Here's image 1:

What you'[re looking for is item 10, "General."
Attachments:
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
And here's image 2
Attachments:
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
Ok did you follow the instructions regarding loading the module into content?

You dont need to link to the faq category you just need to link to the content item that contains {loadposition faq}
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,

Where do I type this: { loadposition FAQ }

In the first line of the content, last line, anywhere?
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
You type it wherever you want the module to appear.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,

I followed the instructions as best I can -- typing in FAQ where asked -- and the JBFAQ disappeared entirely from the FAQ page. The part that stayed is the part I wanted to get rid of. I reversed the process in the position dropdown and it's back to square one.

This is so confusing when it ought to be simple.

Screenshots would be really helpful on these instructions because I have a feeling that there is information missing, things that seem trivial to experienced users so they don't mention them — but are critical to the inexperienced.

I.e., where to type { loadposition FAQ }

"1. Firstly create your content item and type the words { loadposition FAQ } - there is an extra space after the curly brackets so that the module wont render in this content so when you are implementing this you will need to remove the space."

That would indicate after the content.

Didn't work. I then saw those words in the text of the item I typed it into. So, I did something wrong there.

Then, the linking stuff. Screenshots of the sequence would make that easier.

Sorry, but we're not all up to speed on this stuff.

Anyway, I'm about ready to give up. I've blown essentially a whole work day on this and I don't have another six hours to invest in trying to get this module working.

Sorry to vent, but it's frustrating.

Jerry
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
Hi Jerry,

I guess its assumed knowledge re: loadposition given that its a part of Joomla core.

The loadposition plugin loads the module that you specify where you type the words {loadposition faq}.
Didn't work. I then saw those words in the text of the item I typed it into. So, I did something wrong there.

Did you remove the space?
Have you assigned the faq module itself to the FAQ position. You need to type this int he module position drop down box.

The linking stuff is just creating a menu item to the content item that has the {loadposition FAQ} syntax in it - nothing more.

Hope that helps.

Screenshots will be a part of the docs when the relaunch goes live.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I didn't remove the space.

I did assign the FAQ module to the FAQ position.

"The linking stuff is just creating a menu item to the content item that has the {loadposition FAQ} syntax in it - nothing more."

Anthony, this is where the screenshots would help me. I'm sure it's dead dumb simple, but I need a step-by-step on it. Go here, do this, do that. Without that, this kind of stuff is really difficult for me.

I don't have much knowledge of Joomla and anything I know came from 1.0.

Guess I'll have to wait until you do your relaunch and you have screenshots.

Thanks for trying.

Jerry

Anthony Olsen wrote:
Hi Jerry,

I guess its assumed knowledge re: loadposition given that its a part of Joomla core.

The loadposition plugin loads the module that you specify where you type the words {loadposition faq}.

Did you remove the space?
Have you assigned the faq module itself to the FAQ position. You need to type this int he module position drop down box.

The linking stuff is just creating a menu item to the content item that has the {loadposition FAQ} syntax in it - nothing more.

Hope that helps.

Screenshots will be a part of the docs when the relaunch goes live.

Thanks Anthony
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
Anthony,

I used MooFAQ on another site, but it was Joomla 1.0. I guess that was your extension before(?). It was easy to handle.

Douglas, the guy who has it now, emailed me with this: 'MooFAQ uses MooTools in order to do the accordion effect. MooTools is the Joomla default javascript library, therefore most templates use MooTools for their fancy things such as menus and slideshows; Your template shouldn't use another javascript library other than MooTools, however if it does use another library such as JQuery it might be incompatible with many MooTools based scripts."

This is all Greek, or "Moo" to me, so let me ask your opinion because you know what he's talking about. Will MooFAQ work or, because you have JQuery elsewhere within Elevate 1, and maybe MooTools isn't installed, it won't?

I'm willing to invest a few bucks to buy it if it's as easy as the last version was. I'm just not going to "get" what's necessary for JBFAQ, without that step-by-step instruction.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Jerry
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
Hey Jerry,

The faq is working its just that you are having difficulty adding it properly. If you create a support ticket with j login details Ill take a look for you.

Anthony.
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,

I used MooFAQ on another site, but it was Joomla 1.0. I guess that was your extension before(?). It was easy to handle.

Douglas, the guy who has it now, emailed me with this: 'MooFAQ uses MooTools in order to do the accordion effect. MooTools is the Joomla default javascript library, therefore most templates use MooTools for their fancy things such as menus and slideshows; Your template shouldn't use another javascript library other than MooTools, however if it does use another library such as JQuery it might be incompatible with many MooTools based scripts."

This is all Greek, or "Moo" to me, so let me ask your opinion because you know what he's talking about. Will MooFAQ work or, because you have JQuery elsewhere within Elevate 1, and maybe MooTools isn't installed, it won't?

I'm willing to invest a few bucks to buy it if it's as easy as the last version was. I'm just not going to "get" what's necessary for JBFAQ, without that step-by-step instruction.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Jerry
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
Anthony Olsen wrote:
Hey Jerry,

The faq is working its just that you are having difficulty adding it properly. If you create a support ticket with j login details Ill take a look for you.

Anthony.

Thanks, Anthony.

Ticket submitted.

Jerry
  • JRoberts
  • Previous Member
  • 23 posts
Hi Jerry,

Its all set up for you.

1. You had the module assigned to user7 - not faq.
2. The menu item pointed to the faq category not the content item where you had written the loadposition code.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers