Support Forum

• Page:

Magic update updates Joomla 1.5 magically

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Ive just come across the magic update component thanks to Steve from www.alledia.com. If you havent used it yet it is a must since it cuts down what can take around an hour sometimes to close to 5 minutes. It updates Joomla 1.5 seamlessly and is a real god send for updating the quickstart packages.

Check it out: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,6259/Itemid,35/
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.
I will second that, Anthony.

I just used Magic Updater and it took less than 2 minutes.

Amazing.

I still have to set up clones of the live sites to test the update and make sure it doesn't break anything on the site, but Magic Updater saves a ton of time.

Well worth the money.

cheers,
forest
  • Forest Linden
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 19 posts
Maybe I am missing something, but you don't need any software to update Joomla in a matter of minutes. Not if you can SSH into your server anyway.

Just SSH into your Joomla server, download the update package from Joomla using wget then unzip it. Easy.

Of course, there is some command line voodoo needed but it definitely the way to go. There is a nice clear guide here:www.joomlashack.com/tutorials/372-how-to-update-joomla-15-versions

Or have I misunderstood?
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Anthony,

FYI:
This was the program I was talking about in my Warning... Warning post (www.joomlabamboo.com/forum/general-joomla-support/9142-warning-warning). Come to find out I was using their original release version that was and is still pointing to Joomla 1.6 as the next available up-date. So beware... don't just accept the notice that a Joomla up-date is available. Look at what the up-dater program is attempting to do before you approve any changes to the core Joomla code. Once I up-graded to their most current release it no longer pointed to Joomla 1.6 but to the current stable version, 1.5.12.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Ed,

I have the same issue here locally as well. Although if I use it I always use local versions anyway.

@beachwalker - I think the ssh method is the fastest but it requires a little more tech savvy from the user plus alot of shared hosting plans dont allow ssh access. Using ssh is my method of choice but magic updater is handy for those without ssh access.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Fair point. I know that a lot of people get scared by that little black box with funny writing in it ;D

It should be noted however that the component is no longer available on the Joomla! Extensions Directory. It has been unpublished, for reasons unmentioned.
  • Seth
  • 8358 posts
  • 225 Thanks
Did a little research and found the store URL for their 'commercial' application of Magic Updater.

software.realtyna.com/shop/category/5/web-applications/joomla/components.html

Not sure why it is no longer listed within the Joomla extensions portal and as such, please step lightly if you plan on making a purchase. Based on their store catalog there has been several up-grades (and domain limitations) to this app as well as several new additions to their component offerings. The current version I have is 1.5.4 that I received via my donation-ware contribution months ago. By putting server/domain limitations on their product(s) will only limit the number of people wanting to purchase (in my option).

The long and short of this whole process has to rest onto the Joomla Core Developers. This type of up-grade process should be built into Joomla itself. All of the leading CMS applications I work behind offer this feature as part of their core design. On a side note, I believe this is why we are in the IE6 mess we all have to deal with. If MS provided a way to automatically up-grade IE6, very, very few people would be using it or even have access to it! And darn-it (I really do use stronger language :lol: ), why is Joomla still offering version 1.0.15 in their download section? Again, no other CMS applications I work behind (other then Joomla) provide for old version downloads that the general public has direct access to. In my option it causes confusion and slows down the growing process (i.e. IE6!)

Ed

p.s. there... I'm off my soapbox and have washed out my mouth with lifeboy! :X I'll be going blind in my very near future dreams (taken from the movie, A Christmas Story).
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers