Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

QuickStart install hangs at Database step.

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I'm able to install the Joomla software from within the server - as part of their offering of various softwares for their clients. This works flawlessly. I deleted the Joomla install in order to do it through the QuickStart to have the fully loaded site. After uploading and extracting the .zip file for Vision2 I started the install process. When I get to the database info - and I spoke with the server help people to get the info I needed, plus I have the orig. email sent to the client with all his data - the install hangs and does nothing after I click the continue arrow.

Any ideas why I'm getting the big NO in a very silent way? No red errors or anything - just stillness.

Any possibility to install the Joomla software with their "tool" and then add the loaded template and re-config the config.php file and any others?
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Steve,

Depending on how your server interacts with MySQL will be how a database is named. For example, on all of the servers I have access to I have to create a unique MySQL database/username with full permissions before installing a QuickStart Joomla install.

When creating any new MySQL database on these servers there is always a prefix assigned to each database/username I create. For example if I create a database/username called 'test' the actual MySQL database name is, 'servername_test' and the username being 'servername_test'. If I attempt to apply a database/username into the Joomla QuickStart install without the servername prefix, the install will hang when I click onto the Next button or give me a 'Can't access database' error. This will differ from each server I have access to depending on how they have their error trapping configured.

If you are working behind cPanel as your server's control panel, click onto the MySQL® Database icon. This will take you to the listings of all your current databases and give you the ability to create a new database/username & permission settings. Look at an existing database to see how it is named (i.e. server-name-prefix_databasename, server-name-prefix_username).

Not sure if this will be of any assistance to you but it was a learning curve for me when I was starting out with Mambo/Joomla years ago.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hi Steven and Ed,

Something I would check first is to see if its browser related.

In answer to your question yes you can install the quickstart into an existing setup but its a little complicated and you need access to phpmyadmin.

1. Upload the contents of the template, modules and images/stories folder to the site. Just click skip when it prompts to replace the files so long as the version of Joomla you are using is the same as the quickstart package. That will upload all of the extra modules, images and templates to the site.

2. If the template requires the JB library plugin upload that to the plugins/system folder

3. Import the sample_data.sql file in the database via phpmyadmin. You can find the file in installation/sql/mysql/sample_data.sql.

Three steps sound easy but might be problematic if you run into trouble.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,

You are correct that the QuickStart can 'hang-up' based on the browser (mostly with IE6). Yet, I have issues with this using both FF and IE6. On the other hand, Safari has never caused this unless I've entered in the wrong database info.

I mentioned the prefix setting because some 'shared' hosting servers are not showing this within their database listings. Attempting to install anything that requires a MySQL database is real problematic to someone just starting out. This is not to say that Steve is new to this process (don't know)... just wanted to cover an issue I struggled with a number of years ago!

Ed

p.s. BTW... love the July template layout. However, I should be yelling at you. How dare you 'one-up' the Sketch design this early in the game...:blush:
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
LOL sorry Ed :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Just a quick note to say thanks to Ed and Anthony for their time and knowledge. I am certainly a "rookie" by Joomla and mysql standards, but I hope to be able to follow your advice and work through this.

Regarding browsers, I've tried FF, Camino and Safari. I've also created a new database and checked the names and info and used that in the install process and still no luck.
Tech support is on Sweden Summer Mode, which means they're grabbing some sun while they can! But I hope they can help me solve this. I can't even log into the PHP control panel using the username and password sent to the client in his initial set-up email, so I think they need to check it out.

I'll let you know.
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
From the website help:

Hi Steven,

Jonas here that you spoke to on the phone. I tried installing joomla the same way you did, and i think a have found the error, and the solution for your problem. When i get to step 4: database, i cant click the next button, same problem as you have. The problem isnt the phpmyadmin passwords and such as we thought, it´s in the code of the joomla installation. Check if theres a fix, or an update for the installation from where you got it. Replace all the old joomla files with new ones, and try again. That should fix the problem. Try it out and please tell us if it worked out, if it didnt, we will have another look into this issue. The error down below is the error code i got when pressing next on step 4; database;

Webpage error details;

Line: 89
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: www.aycrete.com/installation/index.php

Med vänliga hälsningar

Jonas S

Ballou Hosting Intelligence
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
Its actually a permission issue - the validation errors occurs because mootools cant be accessed.

If you view this file you will get a 403 error:
www.aycrete.com/media/system/js/mootools.js

You'll need to change the permission to 644 via ftp to get it to work properly. This type of error can occur during the upload process.

Let me know if that sorts it.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Well, I did the alternative as described. I overwrote the templates and modules files as you instructed and added the file through myPHP - all into a version of Joomla the Installatron installed - a legacy version of 10.5S
tep 2 didn't seem necessary as I couldn't find that file in the expanded folder of the QuickStart I downloaded on my hard drive. (correct? - Vision2 template)
The site, when I look at it after activating the template is still a bare bones minimum.

Suggestions?

Is there anything I need to change like the line of code I did in a file when I did the SimpleShop? No mention of that in the QuickStart instructions...

Your last post talks about changing something via ftp - can you please be more specific? This installation is taking too long and my client is starting to get a bit curious if I can get this done...
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
Googled the permissions change thing and figured it out. Do I need to do it to any other files?

Will try to do the QS install again.
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
It installed!!!! - got past the Database issue, but now the GUI is like some weird white page with blue text - no layout/styling?!CSS?

This is true with both the administrator or CMS and the actual site.

What's up with that?

Would appear it's a permission issue. Any way to fix it in a broad sense or must it be a one at a time thing? I selected a few in Filezilla and was able to change them all as a group.

Getting closer I hope.

(the never ending story...) I feel like I go into Question Mode whenever I get involved with this stuff.
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
Great Steven ... you are learning about the perils of fickle file and folder permissions when uploading Joomla.

Any time you see a site messed up like that then its more than likely a file permission error.

I use the net feature in firefox's firebug extension. It will tell you which files arent being loaded and the ones that you have to change permissions on.

Other than that you can do a wholesale file and folder permission change if you have access to ssh on the server by using the following commands.

find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Hope that helps.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
All is working now. Hoora!!! Now I can try to figure out the content and design stuff.

Might I ask a Super Basic question please?

The Tab in the browser says Welcome to the Front Page. I want to change that, but I can't see it in the HTML of the template. Am I missing something? (careful how you answer that one!)

Also, another very basic question. If I want the url to go to the start page when typing in the address, must I move all the files out of that sub-folder and just into the root of the html folder? Will I screw-up any linking and stuff? Should I have done it like that from the beginning?

Thanks for the help as Always!
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
Good to hear Steven,

You change the home page title by going to the default menu item - usually home - and when you edit it on the right you will see an accordion - click on parameters - system and you will see the page title there.

Not sure what you mean by the second question. If you are developing in a subfolder then you can move the site quite easily to the root folder with a few settings changes. We can help with that of course ... Where are you developing the site now?

Thansk Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I set it up in a folder called jb_quickstart. The url looks like this now:

www.aycrete.com/jb_quickstart/

If I put all the files in the html folder it is possible to change the necessary paths?

Will try the change as you said. I'mattempting an answer from a help site, but it doesn't find the code "sitename" when I use the search tool. So that method seems not to apply...
  • steven bush
  • Previous Member
  • 49 posts
So basically the way to move it into the root folder is to:

1. Move all of the files and folders into the root folder.
2. Open the configuration.php and change the paths to the log and the temp path - removing the subfolder eg jb_quickstart

Im pretty sure thats all there is but let me know how you get on.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers