Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Bliss missing banner background image in IE

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I have just completed a site in Bliss and it looks great in FF and Safari.

It is not open to the public just yet but when I log in and view it in IE the banner background image is not showing. Please see attached images to see what I mean.

Has anyone got a fix for this? I'm sure its minor.

The only things I have changed on the site are some font colours so other than that the files are straight out of the box (and I used the quickstart package to)
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Sorry, I have now attached a file.
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
having issues attaching my image - hopefully this will work!
Attachments:
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Just to clarify - this is how the same page looks in Firefox - perfect.
Attachments:
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Jennifer,

I'm currently using Bliss for my personal blog site (in process of switching to Sketch) and have not experenced the problems your having with IE6. I did not install this template with their 'quickstart' package and have 'JSN ImageShow PRO' in the banner module position. I've had a few other issues with this template but not yours. If you wish, check out my blog at www.edhathaway.com and see if you are able to view it correctly from your IE6 browser. I just checked it again with IE6 and everything is fine.

Ed
  • Ed
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Thanks Ed. My problem is with IE7 actually. :(

I see in the index.php file the following code:
<!-- PNG Fix for IE6-->
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<style type="text/css">
div { behavior: url(<?php echo $this->baseurl ?>/templates/<?php echo $this->template ?>/css/iepngfix.htc); }
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $this->baseurl ?>/templates/<?php echo $this->template ?>/js/bgiframe.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
	$('.nav').bgiframe();
});
		</script>
<![endif]-->

<!--[if gte IE 7]>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">@import "<?php echo $this->baseurl ?>/templates/<?php echo $this->template ?>/css/ie7.css";</style>
<![endif]-->

So there is a PNG fix for IE6 but I'm not sure what this code for IE7 is doing. Maybe the PNG fix for IE6 is required for IE7 too?
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Jennifer,

To the best of my knowledge the PNG fix is/was designed so .PNG 'transparency background' images would display properly. I'll stand (or sit) corrected on this but I'm quite sure this is the reason. Also, I believe IE7 corrected their browser to show transparency PNGs... Again, I could be wrong!

Quick question. In your IE7 browser settings do you have 'Show Background Images' turned on? This was a real issue for a client I did business with and once we turned this feature on, their web site was showing properly on all of their network computers.

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Actually I have just logged on to another computer with IE7 and its working fine so when I get back to my original computer I'll check those settings and see if it works - I have never had to do that before so fingers crossed.

Thanks Ed for your help - it is much appreciated.

IE8 works fine btw!

Cheers,
Jennifer.
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Ok thanks Jennifer - Ed yep ie6 is the only browser that needs the pngfix.

Glad to know it works on ie8 I am yet to approach that beast!
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Unfortunately I cannot find a setting in IE7 that allows me to 'show background images'. There's a choice under Tools-Options-Advanced to "print background images" but that's about it.

The fact that this has only happened on my copy of IE7 and not on two other copies I have viewed is weird but I'm happy to let it go for now.

My only other issue now is that in IE7 (for those that the banner background image shows) the background image for the news ticker (header_overlay.png) only shows on the first image, after that the ticker scrolls through as required but does not have the background image (header_overlay.png). Minor issue but it does render some of the words hard to read due to the color of the photos and the fact the text in the ticker is black by default.

Once again, this is working on IE8 and in FF and Safari.

Any ideas on that fix?
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Just a quick update. I don't know exactly what did it but I did three things today which sorted the original problem of the background image not showing behind the slideshow:

1. A windows update (.net framework)
2. Made the site go live
3. Cleared all private data from IE

Not sure which one made the background image show but it worked.

HOWEVER, I still have the issue of the header_overlay.png not showing on all the slideshow images - it only shows on the first one. See image attached.

Would really appreciate someone's help - the site is now live so you can view it in IE if you wan to see

www.palmmdesign.com.au
Attachments:
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Jennifer,

There is a real format issue with your Bliss site when viewing with IE6. I've checked it on two totally different IE6 computers using different ISP connections.

Not knowing where to begin to assist you further I installed Bliss on my local server using the two different Joomla 1.5 quickstart versions. After the installations were complete I then viewed the home page within IE6 and both produced a real nasty format/layout. Nothing was what it should be and there was no background images at all.

From my Joomla admin I set the default template to the Joomla default theme, refreshed my browser and the standard Joomla 1.5 page came up looking good. I then un-installed the Bliss template and re-installed Bliss as a new template (as I would with any new template installation). I then set this new install as my default template.

Much to my surprise when I refreshed the home page, the new Bliss installation was perfect within IE6. Since this was a quickstart installation, I did not have to install or reload any component, module or plugin native to quickstart. Something to think about doing on your end if your current site was installed using quickstart.

I have screen dumps of my IE6 browser throughout this process but ran out of time before I could upload them with this post. If you would like I can do this for you once I return to my server desk.
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Wow, Ed thank you for taking your time to test for me. Not good that IE6 is such a mess - I did a test with browsershots.org and it looked good at the time. That was several days ago.

I am definitely going to test what you have done by uninstalling the template and reinstalling and then I'll do each of the template CSS changes I have made individually and test after each one.

I'll let you know how I go. Hopefully this will fix my IE7 issue too...

Not good news for the Bliss Quickstart package - hopefully admin will pick up on this and look into what is going on.

Thanks again - its uplifting to have forum members like you helping in such a self-less way ;)
  • Jennifer Gregory
  • 3 Month Basic
  • 65 posts
Jennifer,

As always... make backups of your current template CSS or any other Bliss template file/image you have adjusted BEFORE un-installing it.

When I installed the current Sketch template using quickstart I had to un-install the default Sketch quickstart template and install the stand-alone Sketch template to get the layout/formatting to match the demo when viewing within IE6. Before doing this, Sketch looked just nasty with IE6 and always perfect with FF.

Please let me know if you want to view my screen dumps. They are quite compelling!
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Hey folks,

I wonder if the files were incompletely uploaded during the install. It does sound weird - there are some ie6 dependant files in the bliss package and it sounds like these arent getting loaded. Tom or I will take a look at this and get a fix for it if we can replicate.

re: Sketch - Ive got the quickstart here waiting to upload but Im in the north of |England and internet connections are few and far between let alone a place where I can plug my laptop in.

Apologies for the delay on that one.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
FYI...
Here are the screen dumps I took after installing Bliss onto my local server using the quickstart method.

Joomla 1.0 version w/IE6:

Joomla 1.5 version w/IE6:

Joomla 1.5 version w/IE6 (un-installed and re-installed the Bliss template):

As these screen dumps show, the quickstart install for Joomla 1.0 had no problems (except the PNGfix did not take effect). The initial quickstart install for Joomla 1.5 had real issues when viewing through IE6. The last image is how Bliss looked in IE6 after I un-installed the Bliss quickstart template and re-installed the Joomla 1.5 stand-alone Bliss template (again, the PNGfix did not take effect).
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
Thanks for posting this Ed.

I cant check ie here but Tom can - Ive just updated the package to 1.510 and to v1.06 of the template.

Do you mind seeing if that sorts it?

Cheers
Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony,

I'm at the 'day job' till late this PM (maybe I should call it my day & night job) but will check out the updated packages when I get back to my server desk. Were your updates for the Bliss template or for Sketch?

Ed
  • Ed
  • 1693 posts
  • 45 Thanks
LOL - Yes just for the Bliss template - Sketch is coming I have a good conenction for an hour or so.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Ok Sketch is ready to go - let me know how you get on.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers