Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Max Biz Help Needed

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I am new to Joomla! and templates and am still finding my way around so please be patient.

I have some questions about the Max Biz template:

1) My top horizontal menu (is that the one called Superfish?) is blue on white and I'd like the blue on grey as in the demo - where do I configure that?

2) Is it possible to change the colour of the title headers on the right panel from green to blue?

3) How do I insert Testimonials into the right panel as in the demo i.e. the first one or two being displayed with a Read more...? I thought that I would have to create a module for this but I can't see how to do it.

4) Where do I find the JavaScript code used in the demo to stop spam bots picking up the e-mail addresses?

5) Where do I set the global settings for this template? I want to turn off the PDF, Print, E-mail, Category and Section titles but it is a pain to do it individually for each one where it defaults to Use Globals. Where are those globals?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm sure that they are all quite trivial but I've searched your web site and found some answers to other questions but can't find an answer to these. I'm sure I'll have more as development proceeds. ;o)

Thanks

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi David,
1) My top horizontal menu (is that the one called Superfish?) is blue on white and I'd like the blue on grey as in the demo - where do I configure that?

Have you got the menu set to flat list? and set up all of the other options for the extended menu module? Here is the url for the superfish menu: showcase.joomlabamboo.com/maxbiz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=39
2) Is it possible to change the colour of the title headers on the right panel from green to blue?

That can be done by editing the images in the images folder of the template. Look for right_h3.jpg
3) How do I insert Testimonials into the right panel as in the demo i.e. the first one or two being displayed with a Read more...? I thought that I would have to create a module for this but I can't see how to do it.

On the demo Im using just a custom html module and a manual link to more testimionials but you could use something like the latest news with intro module that you can find on the joomla extensions directory.
4) Where do I find the JavaScript code used in the demo to stop spam bots picking up the e-mail addresses?

Thats built into Joomla and should already be happening on your site.
5) Where do I set the global settings for this template? I want to turn off the PDF, Print, E-mail, Category and Section titles but it is a pain to do it individually for each one where it defaults to Use Globals. Where are those globals?

Article parameters are one of the top buttons on the content manager page. Thats where you set the global variables in Joomla 1.5
Sorry for so many questions. I'm sure that they are all quite trivial but I've searched your web site and found some answers to other questions but can't find an answer to these. I'm sure I'll have more as development proceeds. ;o)

Happy to help.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Wow! Many thanks for the speedy reply. I'll go through those answers. The menu is set to Flat list BTW - I did go through the page on how to set it up. I'll check again in case I missed something.

Two other quick questions:

1) My Search module has the text 'Search' overlayed on the Seach button but I was sure to turn the Title off:

2) My login module has no text on the Login button (opposite problem to above).

I've tried to upload small screen grabs via the image upload controls below but it doesn't seem to work. CORRECTION: It appears after posting but a re-edit only allows me to upload files but not images so I can't load the login screen grab but I'm sure you can guess what it looks like.

Thanks again

David
Attachments:
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
Hi David,

The first issue is solved by adding a space or the escape character for space in the search module for the button text: will mean that there is a space there rather than the word search.

For the login button you need to publish the login to user9 and it will display in the same way it does in the demo.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Anthony Olsen wrote:

Have you got the menu set to flat list? and set up all of the other options for the extended menu module? Here is the url for the superfish menu: showcase.joomlabamboo.com/maxbiz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=39
Gone through it again and it seems to be correct but I still have blue on white for the menu.

That can be done by editing the images in the images folder of the template. Look for right_h3.jpg
Fixed - many thanks

On the demo Im using just a custom html module and a manual link to more testimionials but you could use something like the latest news with intro module that you can find on the joomla extensions directory.
Still trying to figure this one out. Have found some extensions but the instructions assume I know more than I do... Still working on it.

Thats built into Joomla and should already be happening on your site.
E-mail addresses are plain text on looking at the page source while the e-mail address is obfuscated on your sample page. Is there some markup I should be putting around it to identify it as an e-mail address?

Article parameters are one of the top buttons on the content manager page. Thats where you set the global variables in Joomla 1.5
Fixed - many thanks.
6) My Search module has the text 'Search' overlayed on the Seach button but I was sure to turn the Title off.
The first issue is solved by adding a space or the escape character for space in the search module for the button text: will mean that there is a space there rather than the word search.
Fixed - many thanks
2) My login module has no text on the Login button (opposite problem to above).
For the login button you need to publish the login to user9 and it will display in the same way it does in the demo.

When I first published it to user9, it straddled the bottom grey bar so I published it in the footer. When I put ti back to user9, it now displays OK. Strange. Anyhow, fixed methinks.

Making progress but still a few problems. Thanks for the help so far.

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
One more to add to the list:

The bit under the menu that says 'You are here:' doesn't update with anything. Do I have to link it to the menu in some way or can I remove it altogether?

Thanks

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
E-mail addresses are plain text on looking at the page source while the e-mail address is obfuscated on your sample page. Is there some markup I should be putting around it to identify it as an e-mail address?

No should just be done automatically. Is the email cloaker published in the plugin admin?
The bit under the menu that says 'You are here:' doesn't update with anything. Do I have to link it to the menu in some way or can I remove it altogether?

You will need to publish the breadcrumb mosule to the breadcrumb position to get this working properly.

Thanks for the questions Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Yes, the e-mail cloaker is enabled but perhaps I am not using the correct mark-up (such a lot to learn with Joomla!). I have used a plain <a href="mailto:...." but maybe it needs a span or something around it.

Breadcrumbs worked fine - something else I didn't know. I suppose what I am discovering would be good material for a tutorial for other newbies like me. ;)

My biggest outstanding issue at the moment is the menu - I have still blue on white. I just can't get the blue on grey. :(

Thanks

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
Hi David,

Got a link for the site?

As far as I know the cloaker just cloaks any email address that is written as a hyper link in the content. It may not cloak email addresses that arent hyperlinked so perhaps thats the issue.

JCE is a good content editor that allows you to create email link spretty easily.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony.

The prototype site is at www.davidsteel.org.uk/ before being moved to its final domain. It's a pretty basic site. Note the menu appearance while you are there.

Thanks again

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
Hi Dabid,

Looks like this image is missing:
www.davidsteel.org.uk/templates/jbmaxbizj1.5/images/navWide.png

Must be a bug in the installer. It will be in the download package so you can just upload it to the images directory and it should fix the issue.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
That's most helpful. I compared my site with the demo and noticed that possibly a few other images may be missing too. I compared what was installed with what was in the ZIP and found the following 6 files missing in the images folder:

nav_expanded.gif
nav_expandedOver.gif
navMid.png
navThin.png
navWide.jpg
navWide.png

I copied them across and it now looks like the demo. I've just got to get the e-mail cloaker working and sort out embedding content in a module and then I'm sorted. I'm real pleased with the support you've given me. Cheers!

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
Thanks David, Ill update the zip shortly.

The email issue might be the difference between J1.0 which is what the demo is running on.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I think that the e-mail issue is that it is having trouble working inside a module in 1.5.9. I'm still investigating...

One other question to add to the list - how may I take out the space above the title bar for items in the right pane?

Thanks

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
And another question: (you must think that I'm a real pain....)

When logged in at the front end, the username and password fields disappear but the Logout button still says Login. Also, in IE6, the button has overlaid black text saying 'Log out' rather like the Login button issue I had a couple of days ago only I don't know where to set that button text...

Thanks

David
  • David Steel
  • Previous Member
  • 14 posts
Not at all David,

Its good to work through some of these questions :)

Thats a bug and Ill fix it in a day or so. Once the new template has been released.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
i have different need for help.

1. Hi, The modules 8 and 9 that are at the bottom of the template, are not accessible for me to use.I see that are are listed in the templatedetails.xml files. Why cant i use it?

2. Also, how do i link the images to search and login

3. If i make the text bold, it does not show on the front page. Pls advise
  • Lenard Wood
  • Free Extensions
  • 4 posts

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers