Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Problems with topshop home page

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

I installed (Finally) topshop via the quick start package, but on my home page, the little Featured and New and etc... boxes are missing their description text, aren't aligned properly, and just don't look like the demo at all.

Additionally (And not a huge issue, but perhaps related?), our product images are showing up stretched and ugly, whereas in the demo, they look nice.

For comparison:

My client's site - passyourdrugtest.com/new
TopShop demo - showcase.joomlabamboo.com/top_shop/

So far, this is going much much less smoothly than anticipated.

Any tips or advice you can give me are very appreciated.
Kevin
  • Kevin Cackler
  • Previous Member
  • 3 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Kevin,

Ive just installed the quickstart locally here and it looks as per the demo. Have you made any changes to the VM configuration? I know that you had permission issues on your server with the initial upload and that accounted for some of the bumpiness.

The main difference with your site other than those that you have stated is that the products are missing the short text description for the products. Im fairly certain that because they are missing thats causing the issue with the banner.

Can you check that the short description exists in the product details?

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
I've since figured out what all of the drama is with the permissions, Anthony. In the zip file, the permissions are a little bit screwy to begin with. So when I uploaded the zip and unzipped it on the server, those permissions were retained.

For example, in the templates directory,

"beez" has drwxr-xr-x
"ja_purity" has drwxr-xr-x
BUT "jb_top_shop" has drwx

You should be able to see the problem right there...

There are screwy permissions like that all through the zip file, which explains why my installation required so many little tweaks to fix.

So I'm going to scrap it all and fix the permissions issues BEFORE I run the install and we'll see how it works out then.
  • Kevin Cackler
  • Previous Member
  • 3 posts
OK - Just did a fresh install, but did a blanket permissions fix before hand and this time the template activated beautifully the first time around without issue.

However, the problem still exists where I've got 0 description text on the homepage. I just did a check and there is definitely short descriptions in the virtuemart product configurations. It's just not showing up on the homepage for whatever reason.

Additionally (Something you may want to fix) - Out of the box, the virtuemart.cfg.php file has your localhost:8888 URL, which is easy to change if you know a little bit about virtuemart, but would be a headache inducer for anyone new to it....

Now, hopefully you can help me out with this short description issue. It appears that's the only problem right now.
  • Kevin Cackler
  • Previous Member
  • 3 posts
Hi Kevin,

Ive checked my local again and am not sure why the short description is missing on your site. Best bet is to submit a support ticket with login details and Ill take a look.

In terms of the livesite url you are absolutely right and I have it in a forum post but its buried. We are rolling out the new site this week which is 1000% better than the current site in terms of docs and navigation - so hopefully itll clear up issues like this.

Thanks Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers