Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

Panel Menu linking issue

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here but I'm having an issue where the links on the Panel Menu aren't linking to the same place as the links on the top menu.

E.g Go to www.distantobject.com/film3/about-us/about-distant-object (this can be reach from top menu)

This has Panel Menu on left.

If you click the "About Distant Object" link on the Panel Menu this takes you to

www.distantobject.com/film3/about-distant-object

Which has same content but not the panel menu.

What am I missing to fix this?

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi Martin,

You'll notice that the urls are different even though its pointing to the same article.

You need to make sure that the panel menu module is also assigned to the links in the panel menu in the menu assigniment on the left when editing the panel menu module.

Hope that makes sense.

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Hi Anthony

Yes made sense (once I could log in and follow what you'd written through on Joomla :)

All working now.

Is something similar possible for the bottom menu and top menu items - now having trouble with "Contact Us" on top menu and bottom menu (compared to the Contact Us on the on the About Us drop down) at www.distantobject.com/film3

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Hi Martin,

Yes perhaps make sure the top and bottom menus are assigned to all pages and the module should appear on all menu items.

Cheers Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony

Sorry for the stupid question but how do you "make sure the top and bottom menus are assigned to all pages"?

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Hi Martin,

No such thing as a stupid question but you will probably kick your self when you see the answer. Ill attach the image of the menu assignment area within the module admin so you can it.

Thanks Anthony
Attachments:
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Thanks Anthony

Yes, got it....

More of a [light bulb] going on than a [kick!]....

Still getting round the mind-shift of attaching modules to menus so that those modules appear on the "pages" linked to by those menu items...

I know, pretty core principle of Joomla but I come from a different CMS background... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Thanks again from the superb support on all things Joomla and Joomlabamboo...

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Yeah I think its pretty clumsy actually. Or at least time consuming if you want to be really specific about what appears where on your site. Joomla is incredibly flexible and some things like figuring out how it organises pages via menu items is a crucial but rather large leap.

Hope the lightbulb continues to get brighter :)

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks
Agreed. Joomla is pretty amazing in many ways and the community and extensions around it are phenomenal. It is very flexible but yes, not that intuitive... That said all CMS have their idiosyncrasies.

Cheers
Martin
  • Martin
  • 12 Month basic
  • 76 posts
Yep - I hope J1.6 is a little less idiosyncratic though. Good luck with your site!

Anthony
  • Anthony Olsen
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers