Support Forum

Please note that this forum is only available to you in read only mode. In order to contribute to this conversation you will need to renew your subscription.

New Media menu oddness

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Hi,

I purchased and installed New Media on a site in January and am only now getting around to configure it.

I installed the quick start package on classics.uc.edu/aia/new/

I haven't changed much, just the logo and added a few articles. I have also set the slideshow to only show up on the Home page.

If you navigate through the site using just the menus, everything is fine. But if you navigate anywhere on the site, then use the Home menu, then click on a microblog item, the whole home page shows up and the article shows up on the bottom of the site.

So, starting from here: classics.uc.edu/aia/new/
and then going to a menu item, you get: classics.uc.edu/aia/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=27
for Joomla Overview (I have SEF off).
Click back on Home to get here: classics.uc.edu/aia/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1
and then another menu item will take you to the article: classics.uc.edu/aia/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=34&Itemid=54
but clicking on the Arch TV article gets this:
classics.uc.edu/aia/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=1

and the article is at the bottom of the page.

I reinstalled the template in another directory and the raw template does the same thing: classics.uc.edu/aia/newest/

Any ideas?
Thanks,
J.
  • John Wallrodt
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 2 posts
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hi John,

This has to do with the sometimes complex way that the Joomla menu works.

Basically if your content item does not have a menu item then Joomla will build a relative ink to it.
The home link is different from the base url and hence when you click there and go back to your article you see a different link to it.
classics.uc.edu/aia/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=1

If you go directly to you website and then click on the Archaeology article, you will see it displaying correctly.
classics.uc.edu/aia/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53

In order fix this you can follow the following steps.

Create a menu in the menu manager called Hidden Menu.
It will not be used anywhere. Create links to all the categories and content that you have created that are not linked to in the main menu.
Now the database has unique item id's for these categories and items.

This is a quirk(?) of Joomla and isn't related to the template. Let me know how the solution works for you.

Cheers,
Jason.
  • Jason D
  • 6 Month Developer
  • 2957 posts
  • 12 Thanks
Jason,

Thanks. This does work.

J.
  • John Wallrodt
  • 12 Month Developer
  • 2 posts
Good to hear John :)
  • Anthony Olsen
  • LIfetime Developer - Big Bamboo
  • 23925 posts
  • 788 Thanks

zentoolsIf you use Zentools please post a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Happy Campers